MPG is 10 to 11 and it is stock ...Need advice.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellow ST members,

I have a stock 01 ST and need to know what's going on. I should be getting better gas mileage since it is completely stock. The rear tires are kind of worn and need to get replaced soon. But asides from that I can't think of anything else. Any and all ideas are helpful.

Jonathan

Possibles:

1) Your O2 sensor is bad. Computer can't get best mixture when crusing.

2) Engine coolant temperature sensor is bad. Computer thinks the engine is cold all the time.

Possibles:

1) Your O2 sensor is bad. Computer can't get best mixture when crusing.

2) Engine coolant temperature sensor is bad. Computer thinks the engine is cold all the time.

Is there a way to test these components so see if they are working correctly/incorrectly or does one just change them to eliminate them as a possible cause for poor mileage?

Thanks

(2002 2WD Sports Trac with 64K miles)

hkeiner, the O2 sensors should be replace at certain intervals. At what mileage, I'm not sure right of hand. They are kind-of costly though, but as stated, they can be a major factor in MPG loss. To test them you have to check resistance across the O2 sensor. Most of the time though, they are dirty and just need replaced.;)

Is there a way to test these components so see if they are working correctly/incorrectly or does one just change them to eliminate them as a possible cause for poor mileage?

Another method of testing, easier but not cheaper is to get something that will monitor your pcm via obd-II. If you have a laptop, <a href="http://www.obddiagnostics.com/order.html"target=top>this one BR-3</a> works great and will probably be more than you need. Don't know if the scangauge can do all the stuff the BR-3 does. You download the software from the website, with free upgrades(software).

Well worth the $100.

Latest posts