Mounting GPS to Console

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
I'm planning on mounting my GPS to the main "pocket" (for lack of a better word - the triangle-looking section in front of the two cup holders) of my console.

I'm thinking of screwing the window mount to the wall of this "pocket" (I have a spare window mount in case I want to use the GPS in a different car).

What I want to know is would it be better to take the console off and bolt the mount on, or would it be sufficient (and problem free) to simply screw it on there without putting nuts on. Could the weight of the GPS unit eventually tear the mount free from the console going this route?

I know, my post is a little convoluted, but I'm only mildly handy and so my terminology may not be clear. My apologies.

Any advice will be welcome, as always.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plastic on the consloe is fairly tough. You might consider a thin peice of sheet metal on the back side. That would stop any bowing or warping.

If getting behind the console to install a nut is an issue, you might want to look at using a short toggle bolt?

You may also want to do a test drive with your GPS sitting in the console tray to be sure you are going to get a good signal. I would hate to drill a mounting hole in the console only to find out that the GPS will not work or does not get enough satellites for an accurate location?

...Rich

You may also want to do a test drive with your GPS sitting in the console tray to be sure you are going to get a good signal. I would hate to drill a mounting hole in the console only to find out that the GPS will not work or does not get enough satellites for an accurate location?

I've been driving around for the past 2 days with it attached via the suction cup mount. I'd just keep it suctioned down there, except that the small facets in the plastic cause the mount to fall off after about 5 mins - very frustrating to keep putting it on.

The sat signal is perfect down there. I got tired of the GPS being mounted on my windshield. IMO the rear view mirror already takes up too much of the view and adding a GPS makes the clutter worse.

If you know for sure that this is where you want it, then some epoxy like JB Weld, along with a couple of screws should do the trick. Just pre-drill the screw holes. Skip the JB Weld if you think you may want to dismount or relocate. Either way, the weight isn't that significant, so it should hold. If able, drill the holes for the screws at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, not 9 and 3. By doing so, the weight is more evenly distributed to act against a lever effect of the rattling mount.

Good luck.

TJR

Did this back in 2006. I removed the console and not only drilled through with bolts, washers, and nuts, but also put a (approximately) 3"x2" piece of plywood as a backer, through which I ran the bolts. The arms were RAM Mounts, which are aluminum and rubber, and really, really convenient. I over-installed because this unit weighed more than a brick. However, it held up perfectly over time.

I combated poor reception by running an external antenna through the wire hole (drilled with grommet) behind the dash, behind the passenger A pillar trim, and attached it in the corner of the windshield where the A pillar meets the roof. Unit was hardwired into a 12v source under the console and an additional audio-in cable to the GPS.

When I went with a Kenwood in-dash unit, I ended up buying a new console so I didn't have to stare at the holes.

For what it's worth, this was back before I had all-weather mats, TJR!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

That's exactly where I have my Tom Tom One. It's small and still allows me to use that space for other uses. I only use the suction and only have problems when there is a big change in temperature pretty quickly. I had to re-suction it a couple times in the spring, but since then it's stayed in place.

Adam,

How those all-weathers holding up?

You probably wouldn't recognize me if you saw me now. I am a just shell of my former self. I think you saw me when I was around 270 lbs. Now I am firmly planted around 190.

But I still drink beer (now and then) and unsweetned ice tea with fresh mint from my neighbor's garden (sorta like a boat, a neighbor's garden that is...).

If you ever want to stop in for a drink when in upper Bucks County, you know where I live. Same holds true for any MYST member. Always glad to meet new folks...

P.S. I am in Norcross GA this week...nice and hot down here. Hot in Philly area too. NICE!

TJR

Well I completed this project last night and (so far) I'm thrilled with the results.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w, which is much, MUCH smaller than the unit AdamCKach's pictures show.

I still have lots of room to use that area for storage (cell phone, wallet, Ipod etc) and the GPS unit gets PERFECT reception. All bars are full and green!

One of the added bonuses of mounting the GPS here is that it is so close to the powerpoint I was using to charge the unit. I just wire-wrapped the cord so that it is long enough to reach the powerpoint and I can stow the excess in the storage compartment underneath the GPS unit. No more cord winding its way through my cockpit!

I'll post pictures tonight for members' future reference.

@ Adam,

I didn't go all out with the mounting of the stand like you did. I simply drilled 4 holes and screwed it to the console, then painted the screws black using my touch-up paint. My screws were at the 1:00, 4:00, 8:00 and 11:00 positions so I feel like that should hold it firmly in place.

@ Hugh,

I would have preferred to simply use the suction mount, but It would never stay attached for more than 2 mins at a time. It was driving me nuts so this was my next option. lol