Motorcycle insurance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
The Motorcycle is a go. Got it for $525.00 witha battery tender and repair manual.

Anyways, who do you guys have for insurance? Geico and Progressive are the cheapest. Geico is 5 bucks a year higher.

5 Bucks isn't much, but it is 5 bucks. Should I pick one over the other?

Your thoughts, good or bad.

Tom

Does it really matter?

The bike itself won't require collision, but I do recommend that you cover your liability like you cover your car. Nowadays property damage is expensive. Years ago you would have to get killed to cause $10k in damage today you can do that much damage and more with a bike.

Good buy though. Just remember oil is the life of the bike. Change it often (like once a month) since it is air cooled the oil takes a real beating!

Enjoy!

I have my bike insured through State Farm. I have had one incident and totaled my bike. They were great to deal with. I own my current bike but still have full coverage on it in case something does happen.

USAA doesn't do motorcycle insurance. They referred me to Progressive. So far I am impressed- great rates and easy to use website.

What's the chick's name who is in all their comercials? I think she is pretty hot too.

Nice find Caymen...

I have (4) autos and home insurance with Shelter Ins. Shelter did insure my 93 Honda 1100ST but when I wnt to them for my Suzuki GSX600, they wouldn't even touch it coverage wise since they considered it as a Sport bike!

So, I checked out all of the online insurance coverers and wound up with Progressive. They quoted me $76 per year for minimum KS laibility and $760 for full coverage on the same. Well, I took the $76 policy. Now, on my ST they quoted $50 per year liability and $185 for full coverage. Even though an older bike, I went with full on the ST.

With that said; I guess I'm just rambling because I haven't had to make a claim on either of the (2) bikes, so I can't comment on their service.

But, for the mean time...I love their price!!!!!!!!!

Like I stated in your prior bike post...Good luck and ride like every cager out there is out to kill you...Because they are!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had both Progressive and Geico for my auto insurance. When I got married to Theresa, we went together with everything. Home and auto.

I have used Progressive in the past and never had an issue with them. I have never needed Geico to lean upon, but have heard many positive things about them.

I do like the Caveman & Gecko commercials and do think Progressive's "Flo" is kinda hot. ;)

Hmm....

LOL

EDIT: I maxed out Progressive's coverage and it blows away Geico's prices. Still for the $95.00/year I was able to get full coverage on the bike along with close to 1/2 million dollars coverage. I think it is overkill, but if the cost is the same for the coverage as it is for 100 grand, why not get it?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got USAA on both bikes and I'm very happy with them. They no longer offer motorcycle insurance unless you previously held a policy with them.

I use Foremost Ins. Co. and have had no problems. However, I have as much coverage as I can get and it costs me about $800 per year. I went with $250K personal injury and maxed out the other options. I learned the hard way and it cost me my left leg. Bob

try to find a motorcycle only insurance company

they are usually MUCH cheaper than going through a company that does cars.

i use these guys here in NJ and they also write policies in Ohio

http://www.ridewithrider.com/ohio_coverage.html

my insurance on a 700cc liability costs $115 per year

I thought I was the only one that thought she's kinda hot!:cool: Rose is gonna kill me...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Progressive for my motorcycle insurance, have had the policy for over 10 yrs but have never made a claim so I guess that doesn't help much.

Progressive wanted $110 a year to insured my little 1984 Honda Aero 125 scooter. It was $91 last year. Since I don't have health insurance right now, I chose to keep it in the garage this year. Gotta reduce the risk of injury and illness, you know.

RichM,

Thank you for the link.

I tried to get the same coverage as I have with progressive. Not able to.

No trip protection that if you break down greater than 100 miles from home, you get hotel paid and a food allowance while your motorcycle is being repaired. No full coverage for the bike, and the insurance coverages are not as good as Progressives is.

Cost is $10.00 more per year.

Glad to see I did end up with about as cheap as I can get along with some extra perks not available anywhere else.

Tom

Latest posts