Morning start up and idling issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael A 2

Reaction score
I've been having morning start up and idling issues 80% of the time when I start the engine in the morning. Idling would be rough ranging from 800 rpm to 350 rpm as if it was about to stall. But I give it gas and it would go up to 1100 rpm and stay there until it goes back down to 750 rpm after a few minutes. After that, no more symptoms or idling issues throughout the day. Was wondering what may be causing this? Bad fuel filter? Bad fuel pump? Changing spark plugs? or a whole tune up? Truck has 85000 miles on it. Any thoughts or feedback would be highly appreciated. :)

Could be all of the above but at first guess, I'd say unplug the battery for 30 minutes or so and touch the + to the -.

I say this because I have been visited by the ST gremlin and the battery thing seems to cure it for months at a time.

Good luck...

Thanks Dave for the response... tried that before but didn't work. Looks like I may have to perform a fuel filter change, & spark plug change. If that don't cure well it's probably the fuel pump. Hard to pinpoint the source of the trouble.