More Wheel Bearings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Back from the Ford dealer this morning. LF wheel bearing was making noise, at least I figured that was it since the RF hub and bearing was replaced earlier this year. Soooo....they find that sure enough the LF is grinding but the RF is not long for this world either. Just turned 81k and this is the third RF hub and bearing and the first on the LF. $977, cost me $100 deductible with the extended warranty. :supercool:

Having serious reservations about keeping it when the warranty expires though. Warranty company didn't make any money on this one.

Man, that stinks. Have they tried to give you any explanation for this? I couldn't imagine have to pay for that out of pocket. Is there a known issue for Gen2's. I talked my Father into getting a '07 earlier this year. It had 60k something on it with no known past repairs. It's got 80k now I think. I'll tell him to keep an out for any sound.. If you don't keep it. You will be getting another ST correct? :supercool: ...btw, I used the "JohnnyO coolant flush" method on his ST for him last month :haveabeer: ..actually did 3 complete times over 2 days. His coolant was horrible!

Well, I can't get an ST much newer than what I have. If I trade it on anything else it will be the Mustang GT I've always wanted and I'll get an old beater Ranger to have for a truck.

The dealer mechanic told me he has a regular Explorer the same year and he replaced the same hub and bearing assembly twice in nine months. All I can figure is that it's a bad design. They did say that there is a one year warranty on Ford parts so if they crap out in less than a year after my warranty expires I'll only have to pay the labor. The hub and bearing lists for $361 each.

I wonder who supplies motorcraft with the hub bearings.

If you could find out. You would know what after market brand to not buy.

Actually the first time I had the RF replaced my own mechanic did it because I didn't know it was covered on the warranty. It was toasted in a year so I took it to the dealer who bagged on me for not using genuine Ford parts....which only lasted about a year too.

Within the first 3 years of owning my 2008, I had the front bearings go out twice on the driver's side and twice on the passenger's side. It's been about a year and a half now and I haven't had any more issues. I don't have a remedy or solution, but I thought I'd share that I experienced the same issues and I hope I'm done with it for good. Either Ford finally fixed the issue and the new parts haven't circulated enough to replace existing stock at dealers, or (more likely) it's the luck of the draw with these things. Good luck!

07 V8 4x4. Right side wheel bearing on mine at 71,000. Have 73,000 now

Driveshaft midshaft bearing at 58,000, have to replace complete driveshaft,$800 if out of warranty. ABS/brake lights will all come on for about a minute about once a day for no reason. Driver side exhaust manifold replaced, 3 broken studs, now passenger side leaking. One of the tire pressure sensors is bad so I have that light on all the time. Transmission bump once in awhile. Just a few things off the top of my head. Biggest POS I have every owned. But I only have 6 more payments so I'll just keep taking it to the dealer. Have ford esp powertrain warranty for 2 1/2 more years. I was going to trade it in for a f150 but the dealer only offered 11,500, what a joke.

07 V8 4x4. Right side wheel bearing on mine at 71,000. Have 73,000 now

Driveshaft midshaft bearing at 58,000, have to replace complete driveshaft,$800 if out of warranty. ABS/brake lights will all come on for about a minute about once a day for no reason. Driver side exhaust manifold replaced, 3 broken studs, now passenger side leaking. One of the tire pressure sensors is bad so I have that light on all the time. Transmission bump once in awhile. Just a few things off the top of my head. Biggest POS I have every owned. But I only have 6 more payments so I'll just keep taking it to the dealer. Have ford esp powertrain warranty for 2 1/2 more years. I was going to trade it in for a f150 but the dealer only offered 11,500, what a joke.

That Toyota, Nissan, or Honda reliability is probably looking pretty good about now...

Latest posts