More evidence of car biz misery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Our Chrysler minivan is starting to show it's age, and we're considering trading it in, figuring that it is a buyers market right now.

So, yesterday, I sit down with the Sunday paper to start sifting through the ads for potential replacement candidates. And what do I find? Almost nothing. There are barely any ads! Three or four dealers had one or half-page ads. Just a couple of months ago, our Sunday paper used to have multiple sections with dozens of pages of ads.

The dealers are in such bad shape they can't even afford to advertise. Advertising has always been a staple of car selling. I imagine the radio and TV stations are suffering as well, from the ad volume drop off.

Very bad.

I hope I stop receiving those stupid letters in the mail telling me that my Sport Trac is the most in demand used vehicle and I should immediately come and trade it in on a new vehicle for the same payment. Its funny also that I get the same letters for a Hyundai that I owned and sold three years ago.

Newspapers get smaller due to less advertising then more trees in the rainforest should be safe from exploitation....the Al Gore folks will be then happy!:)

Gary G:blink:

Come to Michigan. Paper is loaded with car adds. I saw yesterday a Brand new 08 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Explorer for 20K.

I saw this morning on the way to work, the Nissan dealer had $8000 off a new 350Z. Tempting but I love my STA way too much.

I heard on the radio coming to work this morning that the Dodge dealership in a town near me is having a sale. (nothing new)

But then the announcer gave the details:

"Come in and buy a 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab and we will sell you a Dodge Ram Regular Cab for a dollar."

I listened for the fine print stuff at the end of the ad. It just said that dealer retains rebate.

Now, THAT'S an interesting ad! :huh:

Latest posts