Monroe Shocks for 07 or what other brand?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:angry:Not only are the OEM's the only replacement shocks available, they are expensive and really expensive to have installed.

The book has shop time of one and a half hours for each rear shock, the dealer quoted me $303 per side for rear shocks.

I have owned lots of automobiles, and have always been partial to Ford; and this is my second Trac.

I was going to buy an 09 Adrenalin, but I will NEVER purchase another Ford product, replaced tires at 27K, because of tread wear; I am an older guy and am easy on my Trac and check tire:angry: pressure weekly.

Let me get this straight... Your tires wore out fast, shocks are expensive to replace, so you won't buy a Ford again? It would seem to me to be a bit of an jump to assume that the shocks are the reason the tires wore out so fast. Not trying to be a jerk, but is there more to the story you have not mentioned? I only have 16k on my 08 (XLT with 245/65-17 Fortera Silent Armors) and they are wearing fine. I keep them at ~40psi.

When I said nobody, I wasn't guessing.

SOMEONE is making them for Ford. And they're ONLY making the OEM ones. The first aftermarket ones that will come to market are KYBs.

With all due respect, Mr. prm; perhaps you should hone your reading with comprehension skills.

At no place in my reply, did I suggest that there was a causal relationship between tire wear and the life of the shocks.

What I did point out was that since the inception of the Trac, Ford has known that the OEM shocks have a short life span and have done nothing to improve this life span and now have priced them and engineered their replacement to be overly expensive.

Perhaps you are new to this site, but if you do some searches; you will find that the Tracs have had major issues since they were introduced, including but not limited to; poor fuel economy, transmission slippage, transmission failure, poor shock life and poor brake life.

FOMOCO is well aware of these inherent problems and has done nothing to improve any of these issues.

Because I buy Ford products on the Z plan; I have purchased new in the past five years, two Tracs, a Lincoln LS, and a Lincoln MKX.

I now realize (takes me awhile to learn) that the money I save at purchase is quickly eroded by the aforementioned inherent problems with Ford manufactured products.

There are many things I like about my Trac, but my displeasure with Ford's refusal to change their engineering to solve these and other problems will cause me to not purchase another Ford product.

Ranger,

What I did point out was that since the inception of the Trac, Ford has known that the OEM shocks have a short life span and have done nothing to improve this life span and now have priced them and engineered their replacement to be overly expensive.

At no point did you make a connection to the earlier STs and shock life expectancy. The discussion was about an 07 and you just said the new ones are expensive to replace. The other issues you brought up in your second post were not mentioned in your first, so as I implied might be the case, there was more to the story as to why you are unhappy. That's fine, my comments were not meant with disrespect.

You state that Ford should be well aware of the issues of OEM shocks having a short life span and that they do nothing about it. Well, they did redesign the entire suspension, and I have yet to hear of any problems with the gen 2. Not to say they won't come up possibly, but so far, so good. Are you having problems with the shocks on the gen 2? (I had a gen 1 too, so, yes, I'm very well aware of the issue on those)

You mention fuel economy - I just returned from a trip with four adults, the back fully loaded and a soft car top carrier on top of the tonneau. I averaged 21.5 mpg with the V8. I never got that on my gen 1 with the v6. As far as I'm concerned, they did something to improve the mileage.

You mention poor brake life. Starting in '03 they went to disks on the rear and that helped. I got pretty good at replacing shoes and pads on my 02. For the gen 2 the brakes are light years better than my gen 1, so I would conclude they did something to make it better in terms of performance. As for life, I only 16k on them, but they look like new. I have not heard any consistent issues regarding brake life on the gen 2.

As for the transmission, clearly they still have something to work on. I have had no problems, but enough others have to suggest that there is something they could do better on the 6-speed.

In general, I feel Ford did a significant amount of redesign on the gen 2 making it a much better vehicle than my 02. Time will tell on the reliability side, but as I approach the one year mark I have had zero problems. :cool: I could not make that claim about an Infiniti or a Toyota I've recently owned.

Oh, I thought I read here somewhere that Dave Turner Motorsports was developing a suspension kit for the Gen 2 ST to be available later this year. Probably not the option you are looking for, but a cool option.