Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
How do the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks compare to the OEM Ford shocks? Ive installed a set 30K ago as I had the front tire cupping issue and Im wondering if these Monroe shocks are not much better that the OEM shocks.

I have Sensa Tracs and I think they're better. I replaced my stockers at only 12,000 miles after I hit a ripple on an Interstate and got sideways at 75 mph. :blink: That has a way of getting your attention and with the Sensa Tracs it doesn't do that any more.

On the other hand, with 30,000 miles on yours they're likely worn a bit. Back in the day when all cars had shocks (and not gas shocks either) they'd say a set was good for 30,000.

I have 45K on my Reflexes and about 40K on my Sensa-Trac and both are still the same performance as day 1...

I will say my 03 does not have cupped tires ( STOCK OEM good years)

My 04 with the wider 275 tires is cupping..... but the tires don't have more then 5-10K left on them any way...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Lester, a fruit rollup is better than OEM shocks. However, in my experience, the SensaTrac shocks are better, but not the best. I have SensaTrac's now and I am kicking myself for not waiting and getting Reflexes, or Ranchos, or something else. The SensaTracs were on sale and all that was in stock. The next time, I'll pay alittle more and get the better quality.

This is just my opinion; but, I believe that SensaTrac shocks are a bit weak for the weight and spring rates of the Sport Trac. They are much better than OEM, but not as good as the Reflex or Rancho RSX; both which are much stiffer than the SensaTracs and they have auto-proportional valving that self adjusts to ride conditions. We all should accept the fact that one cannot make a truck suspension that is designed for a 1,500 lb payload to behave like a sedan suspension that is designed for an 800 lb payload. Simply substituting weak shocks for the proper ones does not get the job done.

Bill,

I agree with you, But I own the 2 ST's, 1 with reflexes and 1 with Sensa-tracs, I feel they both are adequate shocks for the ST.

now if you load, tow, off road, then the sensatracks are NOT the shock for the ST. But my 04 adren that gets none of that, the shocks are a 100% perfect replacement. No harsh ride, Handel good, no nose diving and are less harsh then my 03....

The 03 is a harsh firm ride period. But i like it that way....

Todd Z

All: Thank you for your input. My interest relates to the dreaded S/T cupping issue. It seems that some of us have to deal with this "problem" and yet others dont and I havent figgured out why. I would think that if its a Ford design issue EVERYONE with a '01 to '05 S/T 2wd or 4wd would be facing this problem. Not so.

Or perhaps its a non-issue BECAUSE of the continunous maintenance some of us do, ie tire rebalance/rotation every 3-5k miles and OEM shock/tire replacement. WHich doesnt mean that the vehicle isnt cupping tires rather were minimizing the cupping.

Im coming to the opinion that the CAUSE of the cupping problem is a Ford design issue. Ive installed the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks on our '02 S/t and while checking the Monroe web-site found that the EXACT same shock is used on my '02 Ranger Edge.

I'ld think that the S/T is much different (whatever that may mean)than my Edge as it pertains to the front end. Im now wondering what other parts are common between the 2 vehicles.

As I mentioned I installed a set of the Sensa-tracs 30k ago along with a new set of Yokohama Geolandars tires. Signs of tire cupping has reappeared AND the wife said she noticed that there was a slight front end vibration (around 60-65 mph) awhile ago.

Last night I replaced the 4 shocks with new ones (warranty) and today when she drove the S/T the vibration was gone.

Im tempted to do the following and would like your input on this idea.

1) Get the tires rebalanced

2) Rotated the tires per the FORD recommended way

3) Get the front end aligned...at a REAL front end shop...if I can find one in the DFW area and set the front end to the specs given in Fords TSB 051111

4) Install a set of those "ball bearing" automatic wheel balancers....I know and quit laughing.

5) Maybe...just maybe replace my new Sensa-Trac shocks with a set of "heavier duty" (whatever that means) shocks.

Thanks,

Lester

you don't get vibrations at specific speeds from bad shocks....,

Get the Front end checked out properly, rotate and re balance the tires( PUT weights on BOTH sides of the rims) and have the alignment done and set to "preferred" specs...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: