Momentary Loss of power at 65 mph

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Harris

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport Trac with 263,000 miles. On a trip this weekend running about 65 mph pulling a 6X12 empty cargo trailer I had a momentary loss of power. Check Engine light blinked. Total time was about 1 second. This happened 5 or 6 time. On the return trip, the trailer had an additional 300-400 lbs. I dropped my speed back to 60 or below and had no problem. Any ideas as to what might have caused this?

Thanks!

My first thought would be a dirty fuel filter that can't pass enough fuel to maintain the requirement for the higher speeds. You could test this by keeping the tran in a lower gear and see if the symptom re-appears at a lower speed.

263K is awesome. Have your ST read for trouble codes at most parts stores.

Much easier to pinpoint without wasting money on parts. Call around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on getting the codes read, hopefully they can find a pending trouble code of the CEL isn't on now.

Could be a bad crankshaft or potentiall camshaft position sensor that is starting to go flacky.

Congrants on 260K miles, that's pretty darn good.

Had the same problem a few years back on my 04 and it ended up being the fuel pressure sensor. Did it several times before it set the CEL and it was about $80 form Ford and is located right up on the fuel rail. Two bolts took about 10 minutes to change out. Problem solved!

MDTRAC may have nailed it if you've thrown a p0193 code.

Did they have variable speed pumps in 2001? I know from 04-05 they had variable speed pumps with the pressure sensor on the fuel rail. In 04 to 05 tracs became flex fuel vehicles so they have a different fuel pump and fuel rail pressure sensor setup. No test port to check fuel pressure can be found on the 04 to 05, not sure about earlier tracs.

The fuel rail pressure sensor on my 04 died and I had loss of power on the highway, but my CEL came on and stayed on until I cleared the code once I replaced the sensor in my case.

A good OBD2 code reader can pick up pending codes and miss fires.

I'm at 115,000 miles on my 04 and decided to get an Ultra-Gauge to read pending and set trouble codes. It's a pretty nice setup for 70 bucks, helps to figure out what's going on with trouble codes and gives you live engine data, MPG, etc....

Thanks guys. The check engine light only came on for the split second of the power loss. Check Engine light is off at this time.

Is there a way to test the fuel pressure sensor or should I just replace it?

She has been a GREAT truck and I've only had some front end work done and replaced an axle and seal.

Again, Thanks for all the suggestion and advice!

Maybe the fuel pressure sensor is just fine- it read low fuel pressure due to a nearly-clogged fuel filter.

I would sure change the filter first before doing anything else. Fuel pumps are kind of expensive. There is no evidence that the fuel pressure sensor isn't just doing its job and reporting low fuel pressure.

Is there a "fuel rail pressure sensor" on a 2001 or is it on 2004's and later?

For a 2001, I can only find mention of a "fuel tank pressure sensor".

I will change the fuel filter for sure.

I think I read there is a rail sensor on the 01's as well as my '04. Changed it out easily and took care of my intermittent similar issue. Should be located near the front drivers corner of the valve cover. Pull the fuel pump fuse and let the engine die to remove pressure from rail system. less mess that way. Bought mine on ebay I think and it was around 45.00 a year ago

My 04 is also having this problem. I replaced to fuel filter, at the recommendation of the auto parts store, to no avail. My neighbor has a really good OBD reader, so he looked at the codes for me. The codes are reading as Rich on both banks of O2 sensors, and high rail fuel pressure. It was also giving a reading of having 60% + ethanol, when it is only running on E10 (rather than E85). He thought it could possibly be a bad flex fuel sensor, however I have been unable to find any info on a flex fuel sensor. So my question I am now wondering if it may be the fuel rail sensor, and if this vehicle even has a flex fuel sensor?

Latest posts