Mixed Shocks? ( Reflex / Sensa-Trac )

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wolf

Reaction score
Someone down the road traded in their ST ( For a Scion XB, Go Figure )

Anyway, he bought new shocks but never put them on, and offered to sell them to me at a decent price.

I don't know much about shocks, but thought it would be wise to have the same kind in the front and back.

He has Monroe Reflex for the front, and Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting for the rear.

I wrote down the part numbers ( 911122 for F and 58617 for R )

Is this an acceptable combo, or should I pass and go with Reflex all around like I originally planned.

Thanks for the insight.

Actually if you go to Monroe's website and answer the questions on what you do with the truck, i believe they recommend that combo for on road use with light towing or loading...

Todd Z

I'll pick them up, pop them on.

Todd: I looed on Monroes site, and after tweaking their selections of how I drive, it did come up with this combo. Thanks!

Rodger: Thanks for the tip, Didn't even think of that, nor do I really have half a clue, but I'll search it.

MOOG K7275 or AutoZone SL227

Looks simple enough.

Looks like I'll make a pit stop on the way home to pick one ( or two ) up. :)

Rodger,

I know you're a big fan of the MOOG end links, but what real difference do they make over the factory end links? I can see how a thicker front sway bar could make a difference - the same way a thicker sway bar on the rear does. How can an end link upgrade make that much of a difference?

I'm not challenging you - I just need convincing. ;)

Eric, The MOOG Problem Solvers are named that for a reason. They solved the wobble when going over a curb & gutter, as well as speed bumps, at an angle. The OEM front end links have a weaker tensle strength bolt & plastic tubes around the bolt between the upper and lower rubber bushing; and the MOOG front end links use a stronger bolt, steel tubes between the bushings, and better bushing. That all adds up to allowing the shocks, whatever make and model, and whatever front sway bar you put on to do their job more efectivetly which gives you a more controlled and comfortable ride. I notice the difference mostly on curvey two lane roads and freeway curves, not to much in town except for lane changes are quicker. It is a subtle, but profound difference. Just slap on a set for $30 and you'll see what I mean. :D FYI, I am on my third set of shocks, and eash set did not diminish the side-to-side wobble when going over bumps at an angle until I put on the new end links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...

While you all were sleeping, dreaming of that v12 ST with monster tires, I was awake and in the garage.

First I installed the new front end links. Didn't take much time at all. ( Was I supposed to torque the hell out of them until the bolts woulnt go any farther? Well I did. )

Took her out to grab some dinner. Honestly, I didn't notice much difference with just the front end links changed. but it was only a 1.5 mile drive on a freshly paved road.

Started with the front shocks. Decided to do it without taking off the tire, Just had to start it every so often to turn the wheels. The old shocks didn't take much strength to compress down at all, compared to the new ones. Front wasn't too diffucult. Top bolt on one of them was hell to loosen, but that was about it.

The rear, I dropped the spare, and dropped that plastic box. Getting the top bolts out was no problem. The big one on the bottom caused the death of one of my ratchets. Good thing it's a craftsman, and I also had another.

Now, getting back in those top bolts was a b**ch! I rigged up a 10mm socket to a couple adapters, and had my vice grops on the top one.

I think those top ones would have been easier if not for the awkward position, and the pain. ( I dislocated my shoulder 3 weeks ago, so certain positions are still a good bit painful )

Got the bottoms in.

Figured what the heck, I'm under here... Changed the oil and gave her a fresh drink of mobil 1.

Did a quick run around to all 4 wheels making sure all bolts were nice and snug, and took it for a spin.

WOW! If I was blindfolded, I'd think I was in a different vehicle. Quick turns seem more solid, braking and bumps don't make the truck rock like it's a boat. Its alot stiffer all around. Can't wait to go muddin' !!!

Thanks to ToodZ and Rodger for their input. Greatly appreciated, and thanks to STan Stockdale and David Vinson for the projects on this, they both were a great help.

Only thing that ticked me off is... Why didn't I do this 100,000 miles ago?

Haven't upgraded the bar... Yet...

Been eyeballing the one ToddZ has on Zabteck. Thinking as a future project.

Thanks!

Monroe Reflex for the front, and Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting for the rear.

Been wanting to do the sway bar for a while, will probably bite the bullet before summer is over with.

Latest posts