missing splash gaurds

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Lacilla

Reaction score
I was changing the front shocks on my '03 ST and discovered that the front section of the fender well splash guards are missing on both sides of the truck. The rear sections are still attached.

Are they necessary and if so are they a dealer item? Does anybody have any idea what they would cost? I have no intention to go off road.

Also, within the last week my ST has been creaking, groaning, squeaking and moaning.

That's what gave me the incentive to change all the shocks. I suspect the front sway bar

may need greasing also. However, everything is stock and I don't have greaseable bushings.

Can I remove the brackets w/ the urethane bushings and just grease them up or do I have to replace the brackets and bushings? The crunching and creaking sounds are driving me crazy:wacko:.:wacko:

Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich L

If you are talking about the splash shield that covers the access into the engine compartment, they were dropped from new car assembly several years ago. They ARE available though from the Ford part department (and maybe other places). I don't know the part number offhand but a search of this site should find the numbers. I put them on my Trac as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought mine were missing too but was told that for some reason (poor quailty control?) that even though the holes are there, many came from the factory without them installed. I don't know what they'd actually do except maybe hide the components from view.

Ford 'claims' that they were removed from production build to improve air flow in the engine compartment and prevent over heating. I don't believe it for a moment. I feel it was just a cost reduction decision.