Missing bolt from day one?!?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I brought it in for 10K check, oil change (covered for life), and host of niggling little things. One of which has been an dull-annoying rattle/clunk somewhere in the rear suspension, not very loud. I originally thought it was the tonneau cover, then something in the spare tire, or from the bed, I don't know. Never thought much of it, but I heard it since day one if I went over a small bump. Tires seemed to wear fine, and it pulled 5000 lb. load several times with no prob. Figured I'd let the dealer know.

Well, they tell me that I was missing a bolt from a tie-rod linkage or something like that, and that it looked like it never had one.

Is this possible? Was this safe?:(

Most likely the rear sway bar link. I know in the past there were problems with them coming loose. Thought it had been fixed. I guess they really do need to put the Loc-Tite on them?!

I was missing an entire component from my power locks which was never installed at the factory. Not uncommon for a piece to get missed on the assembly line. Every vehicle is unique.

A Tie-Rod issue can cause steering problems and abnormal tire wear.

If it was the End Link or the swaybar, just more leaning in turns.

I had that happen on my 01, the rear sway bar bolt was missing within the first year that I had it.

Pretty common for the nut to come off the sway bar links. I have never had the issue, have read about it several times here at the site though.

It happened to me about a year ago. I drove around with it out for a few months and felt no difference, but I eventually went out and bought a new bolt. The bolt had come loose and the sway bar actually rubbed through the majority of the end link. I had to get a new end link. Check your suspension every once in awhile, make sure everything tightened down securely.

A moron on the line forgot a PS clamp for the hose on the bottle. 900 miles and lost all power steering. 1 to many beers................

Latest posts