Million dollar fender bender!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
From the article...

...three blondes in a jelly-bean blue Bentley Azure ($363,000) scraped the rear of a white Mercedes-Benz S-Class (a paltry $91,000). And that was merely the appetizer.

Served up for the main course were a hapless black Ferrari F430 ($186,000), which was hit nose-first by the 2.7-ton Bentley. Then, like two tankers mashing in the fog, a four-door Aston Martin Rapide ($228,000) crunched into the Azures passenger door. The cherry on this metal, plastic and carbon-fiber shattering souffle: a stray Porsche 911 ($77,000).

Read the entire article, linked below...

If I owned one of the other cars I'd sue her to buy the car for full price. Yeah insurance is fine and dandy but for cars like those, buyers that are gonna spend that kind of money on them aren't gonna wanna buy a car that's been wrecked.

Even when they do get fixed that's on the title as being in an accident, even if minor, the value of that car just dropped way down, in a buyers eyes anyway.

Jerry,

Though I agree it adds insult to injury when cars of that price tag are in an accident that is not your fault, I have to question you on a couple of things:

1. Diminished value auto insurance claims are very, very hard to win, IMHO. I tried and lost when one of our 4 month old vehicles was in a no-fault-to-us accident.

2. I'm not so sure that it is the case, at least not in every state, that a car that has been in an accident somehow has its title updated. I do think the accident has to be severe, and I know that a there is such a thing as a salvage title, but I don't think it is the case that a minor fender bender or a replaced panel or two are going to come up in a title check.

I'm just pointing these out because diminished value claims are hard to win, I, personally, I don't think every accident causes a blip on a title.

Maybe others have have better information.

TJR

TJR, I was just talking with my Insurance agent and he said anything over $1,300 in repairs, etc. are recorded on your carfax and insurance records.

With vehicles that high in value I'd think it would be different on the whole diminished value claims.

Do owners of Ferraris and Aston Martins really even insure them?

I know somebody is going to mention laws about mandatory insurance, but that only applies to us common folk. You can, in fact, self insure if you have the funds.

TJR, I was just talking with my Insurance agent and he said anything over $1,300 in repairs, etc. are recorded on your carfax and insurance records.

...as someone may be driving around in my wifes old vehicle that suffered OVER $11,000 in repairs and they NEVER showed up on Carfax.

Tom

Jerry, thanks for the info.

I'm skeptical that the dings (pun intended) show up on titles, that's why I asked. Whenever I have traded in a vehicle I am always asked: "Has it ever been in an accident?" Seems to me that question is pointless if the dealer can simply check (since anything under $1,300 as you say is typically a non-issue).

Also, I suspect that 30k or 40k in damage on one of those cars means less to their owners than 4k damage on one of my new cars. Just a thought... LOL

TJR

Some dingledorf decided to try and beat the light, but didn't realize I was stopped in front of him.:cry: Because of him not paying attention, he caused about $1800 to $2500 worth of repairs to my ST.:cry: I ran the vin just an hour ago and it's already on CarFax. He just bent the bumper in and down, but kinked up alot underneath. Already got his insurance working on paying for the repairs. Hopefully, I'll have it fixed by the end of next week. :sad:

So I think that the value won't decrease so much if it has been repaired back to original condition.

I've been to Monte Carlo and you can't spit without hitting a $100,000 car. Crazy money there.

Spent a couple days there myself. I agree about the cars. Did you try to eat? :cry:

Also, I suspect that 30k or 40k in damage on one of those cars means less to their owners than 4k damage on one of my new cars. Just a thought... LOL

That's what I was thinking. It's probably more of an inconvenience akin to my frustration with the internet going down for an hour.