Miles per Tank on your ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to see what others get on their trucks per tank.

2004 STA 4x4 184k Miles with 265/75/16 tires, 3" body lift, aftermarket intake/exhaust, economy tune of 87 gas on the SCT X3 and from the North East.

I usually get about 260 miles per tank. Which sucks...

How about you?

That's about what I got if it was mostly highway but mine had 33x12.5x15 steel wheels, ARB winch bumper w/ 12k lb. winch, heavy steel rear bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, heavy gauge steel rock sliders (all of which I built except the ARB winch bumper although I did modify it and add a lot of steel to it). I had my recover gear and tools in it all the time too so it was weighed down pretty good plus my speedo was alittle off due to the tire size.

Don't forget it's winter and with the cold weather you're running winter blend gas, idling a lot more and the colder temps also drop MPG's.

:banana:

I get about 415 miles on a tank with my '02 2wd with 180k miles. I have 285/75/16 tires, TT on front, new Motorcraft plugs gapped at .065 and the Screamin' Demon coil/wires, and "cold" air intake. Mostly highway miles, about 21.5 gallon fillup.

I had a 2001 and a 2003 ST, but I never measured miles per tank? Way to many variables? I know I typically would get between 300-375 miles in my daily, mixed mileage driving (not much city driving).

On long trips when I carefully measured gas mileage I could get 440 miles per tank which is about 30 miles past the point when the "Low Fuel" light came on,...but I would not risk pushing it any further than that. I was getting between 22-23 MPG.

...Rich

I was just curious what others are doing. I know when I first bought my truck back in 2004, I would get around 450 miles per tank. Right around 30k miles, that dropped off to about 350 miles per tank, and after adding all the extras, it has dropped off about 260. My ST had digital display that tells me how many miles I've driven, and I am only counting the miles until the low fuel light comes on.

I am not worried about the MPG stuff or saving money on gas, just was curious what others are dealing with.

How about less than 200 miles per tank in NYC. I know it would help if I drove like an old lady .... but I don't.

If I take a long trip on the high way I do much better but still nowhere near 300.

I'm at 150K+, and get about 320-340 per tank. Depends on how low I run it. I use the trip odometer to track miles per tank, then do the mental math, and I'm typically in the 15-16 mpg range.

21.55 mpg is the best that I most accurately measured on the highway on my 2003. That's with a 3.73 axle ratio, K&N filter, Gibson CAT back, and very conservative 55-60 mph driving. I also have a Lear bed cap which i believe helps aerodynamically.

Around town driving and commuting to work and I have to be really light on the foot to get over 15 mpg.

Latest posts