might not be good to adjust EPC solenoid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
Take it for what's it worth but all my research is showing that this is an extremely bad idea. I haven't done this to mine but I hope I'm wrong.

This article references a 4R70W transmission but it may apply to the 5R55E as well. Other sites refer to the EPC adjustment as an absolute no no with the 5R55E.

Not a mechanic, just thought I'd pass this along.

By adjusting it 1/4 turn ( which is all I recommend ) your only upping the pressure 10-20 psi, Almost the same as if you run a chip or flasher...

After you adjust the EPC a good tranny shop can test the pressure in the transmission.

This article is for the people who crank the screw in 1 or more turns... Thus dangerously increasing the pressure...

The tranny normally runs about 200 or so, So the extra 20 will not hurt any thing...

This is why the project and all my posts strongly state 1/4 turn ONLY!...

Edit : This author also states that an increase in pressure will result in the tranny using more fluid and can run the pan dry... Your kidding me right??? Fluid is NOT compressible, and pressure is the resistance to flow, THUS if you have MORE pressure you have LESS FLOW !!!.

This article is just the same reason the back of a gates belt says to make sure the engine is OFF before servicing belts... OR the toaster that is not to be used in the bath tub...

I don't know about you but i like my toast while soaking in the tub !!.. :lol:

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
That article was written by Jerry Wrobleski, who also is one of the owners of SCT.

"That article is also for the 4R70W and AODE transmissions ONLY!!!! It does NOT apply to the 5r55E or other variants."

Per Jerry himself :)

What other sites have you seen that have trans mods for the 5r55s?

The more I read, I dont see where it would apply to us...

Also he didnt touch much on the AOD..but I disagree with some of the things he said..I have installed a few shift kits on 5.0L aod trans..set them up for race for the street..never had a problem..I always installed extra large coolers though..

But he was covering the aode and the w..those were dificult trans anyway..

The only thing I would not do IS if you plan to do the EPC adjustment, Make sure you tell the person when you buy a chip or flasher that this was done, so they don't crank up the pressure too much....

If you never plan to get a flasher, or x cal, or chip, Do the mod It may just save your tranny..

Todd Z

There you have it....the power of the forum to clarify.

I'll just stick to the cosmetic stuff from now on. :rolleyes:

Do you guys think that it is a good idea to retorque the bolts holding the valve body on while you have the filter removed. Much has been said about the gaskets shrinking and hence the bolts loosening up. This leading to gasket blowout.

Tim

Tim,

I don't think it would hurt, But those bolts are not the strongest and so are the gaskets, IF the gasket shrinks a little and you re torque, It may make it worse...

Now the gasket is only a couple of bucks, You could just replace it...

Todd Z

Todd, good words of advice. Let me pose this question to you all. Transmissions problems with the 5R55E seem widespread but somewhat avoidable. Am I correct in thinking that the following things are good PM, and in the order of importance?

1) Get the Ford updated seperator plate (with bonded gaskets) as well as their VB update kit. I think the two are supposed to be installed at the same time. Both of which are about $40.

2) Turn up the EPC 1/4 turn as suggested.

3) Flush and filter more often than 30K, say 20 - 25K.

4) Install an additional or oversized trani cooler.

I know I'm beating this into the ground lately (sorry). Wish there was a "Saving the 5R55E for Dummies" book out there.

No takers...???

It would just be nice to have a step by step, do this, do that, then do that and you should be OK. I know there are no guarantees but a guideline to PM on this would be great.

Anyone???

I think you got it... But,

in 2003 ford included the VB update and plate in those tranny's. I know mine has it... (2003).

I replaced the EPC, and cranked up, Installed a shift kit ( which seemed useless), Installed a higher capacity pan with cooling fins, (adds 4 qts and gives a drain plug) , I drain and fill every 15, and filter every 30K..... I may let the filter go a little longer since I can drain and fill earlier... I did not install an extra cooler, as of yet, But if As I Start getting up in HP i might..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd, do you have 4WD? I think my cat or something is in the way to fit that pan. Do you have to put an extension pick up tube on your filter? (Pan envy) :eek:

You're shift kit and EPC, was that to fix a problem or just PM?

Mine is an 01 so I'm in need of the updates.

Tim, Yes 4wd, They make a 2wd pan... I don't know what your st is.

There is no extended pick up needed, If you look at the factory pan it has the dimple in it for the long pick up....

You also can put a 4WD pan on the 2wd truck, BUT YOU MUST USE the 4wd filter then...

I had the dreaded 2-3 flair, And a local tranny shop that my buddy owns hooked me up with the ideas, It all has worked mint....

Todd Z

Latest posts