Might have my first major problem with my Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
So after 256,000 + kilometers I believe I may have my first major issue. starting 2 days ago when I start from a stop I hear a loud clicking coming from the back end of my Trac. Its only about 5 clicks and its when i accelerate aggressively.

I reached underneath and noticed that my drivesahft has a little bit of play to it which leads me to believe it could have something to do with my u-joint... or at least thats all I hope it is. My fear is that its my entire rear end going...

any other ideas?

Gary S, that is 158,000 miles.

When you move your shaft, is the play in the shaft joint or does that seem solid?

Tom

Gentlemen, A member has an issue, and has asked for assistance.. Lets focus on that..

Big D, I think Toms question was asked in order to see if the play seemed to be in the U-joint or farther back in the ring and pinion assembly. Clicking under agrssive acceleration might be from worn components in the differential.

If you are unsure, U-joints are cheap, and would be a good first starting place.

Dave

I feel that the drive shaft needs to be balanced and new U-joints put in regardless of where the noise is comming from; I say that because the drive shaft could be a contributing factor. If the drive shaft is out of balance it could also give the transmission problems. It won't hurt to open up the differencial to see if there is a problem in there as well.

Im going to try and get the ujoint replaced asap... but the more i look at it and think about it I am really beginning to think that ity might be the diff... i can only imagine what that might cost me....

I have a problem with my ST also... it has 97k miles and I just had to replace a rivet. What crap! I'll never buy another Ford again. :)

Well, not one Ford, but maybe 2 or 3.

Now Gerald... Lets be reasonable here... Check the serial number and date code on that Rivet.. It may not be Ford's fault... Perhaps there was a rivet recall... ??

:p

Mine had a similar noise coming from it. It was the rear seal on the diff. Get it fixed asap. Mine went out and cost me 2g's to haul in a new rear end.

Big D,

A rear end is not that expensive. If it is the rear end, you may be just as well off finding a differential in a yard and pull it yourself. It is not that hard.

Tom

I can't say this for sure, but I assume any 2001 to 2005 Sport Trac. I don't know of any Explorer's with 4.10 gears. As far as I remember, they were 3.73's.

Tom

I would bet the rear axle from a Ranger would work as well. If it does and you can find one from a 2002 FX4 or a 2003 or newer FX4 Level II they came with an 8.8 with 4:10 gears and a Torsen differential. I had an 02 FX4 and it would go through some amazing stuff even in 2 wheel drive.

Ranger rears won't work. They're about 1.5" narrower and are sprung over, not under. The only difference in ST rears between 01-05 is the change over to disc brakes. Should bolt right up, but you need to verify that the master cylinder and proportioning valve is the same, as disc brakes need less pressure (or is it more?) than drums typically.

Converting over to disk brakes is very simple. No different mastercylinder or proportioning valve is required.

I have disk brakes on my 2002 Trac. I know.

Tom