Metal Rubbing Noise from Wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
For the last month or so I heard an intermittent metal grinding noise. Because it was intermittent I couldn't figure out from where it was coming. At first I thought it was the front brakes. I replaced the pads about 2 years ago and thought maybe the pads were worn. Then I thought it might be the CV joint.

Well, Saturday I was going to get some sweet corn (mmm, sweet corn) and as I was turning into the farmer's lane I heard the noise. But this time I could tell it was coming from the rear! I got home and took off the tire and drum. Inside were the remains of the self adjuster. I guess somehow the cable broke and the parts were rattling around inside. So if you ever have that experience, check for this scenario!

I have had the the cable break. Not on the trac, though. Be shure to never sieze the threads on the star wheel. alittle on the arch the cable rides on also. Soak the the cable in oil and wipe off the excess prevents rust.