Memorial Day Rememberance...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
This is not a topic meant for debate. I realize that not everyone feels the same way. I respect that. Please respect this is here simply as a reminder. I post this as in some cases someone jumps on the band wagon and proceeds to tell everyone why what is so bad and wrong. in this case, I really don't care if you feel negatively about Memorial Day. I have brought home my friends remains from various deployments. They paid the ultimate price to allow me to type this message. It could have been me on more than occasion. All I ask is respect what the PERSON has done for you. If you don't believe in the wars, actions, etc etc etc that is fine. That I can respect. Please do not let your thoughts tarnish the men and women that deserve this memorial.

This message just happens to be one of several that have been sent to me. I choose this one as it has a few links to support it.

Thanks to all, especially my fellow Veterns.....

MEMORANDUM FOR: All DHS Employees

SUBJECT: National Moment of Remembrance: Memorial Day 2006

The United States commemorates Memorial Day this year on Monday, May 29. Memorial Day (first called Decoration Day) began in 1868 to remember those killed in the Civil War. Since World War I, Memorial Day has become a time to honor all those who died in service to our Nation throughout our history.

I ask that on Monday, you join the nation in observing the “National Moment of Remembrance.” Formally established by Congress, the National Moment of Remembrance asks Americans wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day to pause in an act of national unity. The moment is a time of remembrance for America’s fallen and to make a commitment to give something back to our country in their memory.

The President has also directed that the flag be flown at half staff until noon on this Memorial Day on all buildings, grounds, and naval vessels throughout the United States, and in all areas under its jurisdiction and control. The President requests that the people of the United States display the flag at half staff from their homes.

This Memorial Day, please remember those who serve our country and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to our nation.

To read the President’s Proclamation on Memorial Day, please see:

<http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/05/20060516-5.html>

To visit the White House Commission on Remembrance Internet site for more information on Memorial Day remembrance activities, please see:

<http://www.remember.gov/>

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard not to remember, because their memories are all around the base where I serve. In fact, we have a row of trees which were planted in memoriy of those who died serving our country right outside of our Communications Group headquarters building, which I walk past every day. One commemorates Yukla 27, which crashed in Alaska, and is the only AWACS aircraft to crash (see link below for story).

[Broken External Image]:

I'll also remember my dad who served in the US Navy (Cuba and Vietnam), my step-brother (US Army - Desert Storm/Iraqi Freedom), my three Uncles (1 - US Air Force Vietnam, 2 - US Air Force Korea), my two grandfathers (1 US Navy WWII, 1 US Army WWII), and my great-grandfathers who served in WWI. Fortunately, none of them paid the ultimate price.

Nelson Atwell

Technical Sergeant

US Air Force

[Broken External Image]:

I too remember my father (Army - Viet Nam), my maternal grandfather (Navy - WWII), my paternal twin great-uncles (Navy - WWI / Army - WWI, WWII, Korea), and the many others who fought for this country beginning with the American Revolution.

[Broken External Image]:

US Navy 1984-1994

USS Vincennes

USS Camden

US Navy Brig Seattle

Ditto you all here. It's amazing how it runs in the family. My father and 2 uncles served during Viet Nam and my Grandfathers (both) during WWII. My oldest brother and I were in Operation Desert Storm/Shield. I will never forget.;)

Memorial day means a lot to me, it honors the people that paid the ultimate price. Veterans day honors the living veterans, memorial day honors the ones that have passed on.

Y'all have a good one

Bob[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

I remember my dad who served in Iran & Iraq During WWII. He is among the generation of WWII veterans that we lose 1000 every day now. If you encounter a vet, all that is required is a simple "thank you".

Here Here! To those that served and made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may all enjoy Liberty...

Larry E. Phillips, Staff Sergeant, United States Air Force

[Broken External Image]:

Where did you find the website that allows you to post your ribbons? I've been to two for Marines but neither will allow me to save my ribbons as a file. Can anyone help a young, retired Marine?

Semper Fidelis,

Art Roth

Gunnery Sergeant (FMCR)

In the Air Force we have a site called Virtual Military Personnel Flight where we can see our personnel files including a graphic of our ribbon rack. You might be able to go to About.com, (they have alot of info on military) and look each of your ribbons up individually, save each picture, then build your rack in MS Paint.

Art, here is one for you. Once you select "Build my Rack" it will show your ribbons. Simply right click on it and choose "Save Picture"

Thanks Coastiejoe. I'll have to figure out how to put all the ribbons together - we don't use the right side unless we have medals on the left and there is no medal struck for the award, then we place the ribbon on the right (i.e. Presidential Unit Citation). - Art :D

God bless the USA, and God bless all the service men who gave their all for us. Too bad Congress is selling out our great nation to illegal aliens. :angry:

Latest posts