Mazda 3

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Kolar

Reaction score
So my dad bought a Mazda three last year and I lucky son got the trac for driving:banana: anyways the exhaust on it smells realllyyyy bad, like rotten eggs. At first I thought that it was just the new cat and muffler getting broken in, but after a year and a half and 17,000 miles it still smells pretty nasty. Does catilytic converter cleaner actually work?? Or what do I do?

I you have an aftermarket cat. You have to make sure it is a three way catylyst. Some shops dont know the difference. Other wise you might be running slightly rich. The O2 sensors maynot be picking up on it. Or the fuel you are using is crappy refing, not gettingthe sulfer out.

It is a completely stock so ill rule that out, but it may be crappy gas. I don't always drive it but sometimes when I do I have to warn some of the ladies that the exhaust smells:grin: will that cleaner do anything or is if just wasted money

If the exhaust smells like rotten eggs then your cat is working overtime. You need to find the reason the engine is running so rich or else you are going to prematurely burn up the cat. Never heard of catalytic converter cleaner adn being an ex smog tech in California I've just about seen and heard of everything related to emissions.

I just looked it up and it's kinda like the fuel injector cleaner but idk how it could be messed up the car is only a year and a half old