May be moving to an F-150 sooner then later

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Well, we made the move to a new RV (Toy Hauler). Picked it up this past Saturday and LOVE IT! This is our 4th camper so I'm not new to the show.

We have two ATVs and this is perfect for us.

Issue is that with the two ATVs, all my gear (camping and otherwise), fluids, and us, I'm real close to the max tow load - 7,000 lbs. The ST's towing max is 7,160 and the trailer's max with toys is 7,400.

I towed it from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday and I felt it - A LOT! My other camper I would get 14-15 mpg towing at 65-70 loaded with all the camping gear and 1 ATV - no problem. This one is like towing a brick. At 50-55 I got 8.4 mpg - and it was EMPTY (No toys or camping gear). Probably had 5,500 pounds total for the trip home. Fortunately, all our scheduled trips this year are no longer then 2 - 3 hours towing but I don't want to kill my ST - sooooo - I'm starting the hunt for a bigger truck.

I have a great weight distribution system and drive it very cautiously - slow, easy and plenty of distance between the guy in front of me. Heck, I'm in no hurry.

The new 2011 F-150 is my primary focus either the 5.0L or the 3.5L Ecoboost. We'll see how this pans out. $$$$

Going on our first trip this weekend ATV riding at L-Cross in Okeechobee Fl. I'm hoping to take lots of pictures.

I'll let you all know how it pans out - this will be the true test - fully loaded for the first time.

Wish me luck!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Can-Am's - one 08 Outlander 400 and one 08 Regenade 500EFI.

Pics of the Outlander are in my library. No pics yet of the Renegade.

I wouldn't mess with the F150 and wouldn't consider the Eco Boost engine for at least another 2 years...that way they work the bugs out of em. Get an F250 and be done with it

I tow a boat with my ST and although it is within the weight capacity for it I usually get about 8 mpg (26L/100km) when towing it. If you look in the manual there is actually a formula for how much frontal area the trailer can have relative to the truck. My boat is over it so area so the boat moves a lot more air than the truck cuts. The Thules on the top and on the tonneau don't help either. Had an F150 before the ST and never knew the boat was back there. Problem is, where I tow there are no gas stations and I am almost empty when I get to the cottage. End up carrying extra gas just in case. F150 had a big tank and better mileage with the boat behind it so it was not an issue. Liked my ST but just ordered an Ecoboost FX4 on Monday.

[Broken External Image]:

justjimmy,2/2/2011 08:06 MT

Love to - but the $$$ may be out of my range

I need to look for a used F-250

I think with the premium that they will be getting for the Eco Boost engines in an F150 one could find a really nice used F250 that already has the kinks worked out of it. I don't know why but something makes me think Ford is going to have alot of issue swith the Eco Boost in the F150 for the first year or so....nice trailer btw...I'd love to have something like that for when I go to Glamis but I don't go enough to justify the cost.

I1tech,

I agree about the Ecoboost. New technology like this needs to be worked out on the road. All the tests they ran (Ford's videos with Mike Rowe) showed a REAL IMPRESSIVE engine but the road; and time are really the best way to test this new technology. With that said, the 5.0 L is also a new engine... what do you think about that engine?

Thanks for the compliment on the trailer. I'll take more pictures this weekend and pass the along to you all. My wife and I are real excited to take our first back-woods wilderness camping with the ATVs.

The real issue with a 250 is gas mileage. I'll be towing so infrequently that I can't justify such a huge tow vehicle as a daily driver.

I tow only on weekends and maybe only once or twice a weekend - not all year long. If I were to guest-i-mate, we tow the camper maybe 6 -8 times a year to just camp, no ATVs (loaded to about 5,700 pounds) maybe 6 - 8 times a year to camp with the two ATVs inside (that would be over 7,000 pounds). That's it.

We go riding ATVs more often just for the day - without the camper - just a trailer for 1 ATV and the second ATV in the truck bed.

Whatever truck I get, It will be my daily driver so the gas mileage is important to me. The new 2011 F-150 has the 5.0 L and the Ecoboost engines. The 5.0 L is rated at 16-21 (18 ave) and the Ecoboost is only one mpg better all around. Obviously, either one will do just fine. The 6.2 L is way too much truck for a daily driver.

I'm weighing my options and will have to make a decision sooner or later. Like I stated earlier, this weekend will be the true test - a full load of right around 7,000 pounds. After that trip, and depending on how it tows, I'll make a decision as to which way I go:

1. New F-150 (5.0 l or Ecoboost)

2. Used F-150 (5.4 L)

3. Used F-250 (Whatever engine is has)

4. Keep my ST and wait another year.

5. Just get an old, high mileage F-250 just for towing and use the ST as my daily driver.

I know I research the hell out of this but I want to make the right decision and not hurt the ST - I really love this truck but it's just too small for my needs. Option 5 looks better all the time.

Decisions, decisions... decisions. :banana:

Probably not an option for you, but...

...keep the ST and buy an older, used F250/350 diesel with higher mileage and use it for towing only. Then you can have the best of both worlds. Unless you are worried about what people might think of you driving an older pickup...

Just tossing out another alternative.

Unless you are worried about what people might think of you driving an older pickup..

LOL - Hugh - Funny.

Actually - I was going to say that that's not me but... it may be - to a certain extent. I think it's more like ME, caring what I think about ME driving an older truck.

Ya did make me chuckle though.

What can I say, I like nice new things - guess I'm spoiled.

If you can swing it option 5 would be the way to go.

I haven't had the opportunity to check out the new 5.0 yet but if I had to pick between it and the Eco Boost in the first year I would go with the 5.0 becsaue it is a less technicial engine. The only thing that bothers me with the new 5.0 is that Ford uses variable cam timing on both the intake and exhaust cams...I have had to fix alot of Ford variable cam timing issues over the years, seems that they just can't get it perfected yet but maybe with the new 5.0 design they got it figured out, regardless the 5.0 would be my choice between the 2

L1, As you are in the business, Do you know if Ford ever fixed the issues with the 5.4 and the cam phasers? I have a buddy with a 2004 F150 and he had to have well over $2K work done to it due to the failure of these parts. I have heard it is an issue on the 2005 models as well. (Engine almost sounds like a diesel during idle)

Dave

Funny that you mention that. Just last week I had to put timing chains in a 2007 F150 with a 5.4 becasue of a cam phaser issue, it ended up breaking the timing chain guides and actually jumped a tooth on the right cam and it only had 68,000 miles and the owner keeps up on the maintenance....I think it's an ongoing issue. I know that the 3.5 motors that they use in the Edge also has had issues with the cam phasers so I think it boils down to Ford not coming up with a solid design yet across the board. Time will tell if they got it figured out with the new 5.0

Time will tell if they got it figured out with the new 5.0

I hope they figured it out - I did it.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2011 FX-2 - 5.0 L, fully loaded. The deal was unbelievable! I just couldn't pass it up. Traded the ST - did pretty good with it - gave me 16k, owed 8K plus there was a total of 5k on rebates for various things like owner loyalty discounts.

Got 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, 3 year free maintenance to include oil changes, radiator flush, tire road hazard to include the 20" Alum rims... things like that. Etched glass security too.

Payments are $20.00 / month higher then the ST but the truck is totally different.

The Electronics on this thing super advanced - I'll need to take a class. The Sync thing is pretty cool - still have to read through the manual.

If it's ok, I'd like to stay a member of this site - even though I no longer own an ST. You guys (and gals) are awesome and I'd like to keep asking advice and contributing to this site. Knowing you all, I'm sure it's ok to stay.

Pictures to come.

That was quick...I'm sure you'll enjoy. The electronics take some getting used to. On my Edge I have Sync and Nav and learning all the voice commands for both took a bit of time but is really pretty easy overall...I don't think anyone is gonna mind you sticking around becasue you don't own an ST anymore...I sold mine a year ago.

Latest posts