Man with a gun at the school my children go to!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
I live in northwest Alabama but am working in Louisiana. My wife just called me and said the school was in lockdown due to someone there with a gun. I know that they are ok and are being checked out of school. I hate being away from my family expecialy at times like this! I am short on information but they are ok. When you see your children please hold them and love them! You never know.................

Shoot him.

OTOH, is he waving it around and threatening people or is he walking past the school on his way to the woods to go hunting? I have a concealed weapons permit but if I merely drive past a school or walk into a Post Office with my gun on my person then technically I am violating the law. And ya gotta fear the Postal workers.

Seriously though, I hope everything turns out okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my biggest fear. Personally, I think every school should have teachers packing. Schools, IMHO, are a "target rich" environment that an orchestrated terrorist plot against could easily do more damage (psychologically) to this country than 9-11 ever did. Twenty or thirty terrorists, as many schools, a synchronized attack...I shudder.

My good thoughts are for your family, HO.

TJR

I believe that is why schools are such a target because lawful citizens with a carry permit are not permitted to carry on school or government premises. So for a unlawful person they don't care and know that a lawful person can not do anything to stop them. That is atleast how I feel about the situation when it comes to school shootings.

I have said for YEARS that the young FBI, SS and other letters of the FED GOV should carry while going to collage or training...

As far as middle and high schools go, there should be some teachers and these teachers should not be advertised to help keep things equal in the event there is an issue..

I am glad all is OK for you, we just 2 days ago went thru a similar issue where our high school, (where I have one child) was locked down due to threats...

I guess it is part of our life now...

UPDATE

Everthing is ok. They said that the man walked across the campus with a gun and was cought just down the road. My wife said it will be on the news tonight. Iwill be looking for it on line. Still not sure of his intentions. (whnt.com)

I believe in Georgia, you can wear your weapon in the school if you are there for the purpose of picking your child up from that school.

I teach survival classes at a Jr. High school. One of the programs is called "The Swarm" which is taken from a class I teach to regular police officers. We go through the Escape and Evade procedures, then to Lockdown protocols if E&E are not possible, and as a last resort we teach the kids how to distract, fight back and using "shock and awe" principles go through the shooter and escape ... vs. sitting in fear and waiting to get shot or "comply and die." 100% support from staff and parents.

Yea...the concept of unarmed, scared kids taking on an armed intruder bent on a body count is ludicrous, but is is the only alternative if you are in that room. School shooters do not want hostages, want to negotiate, want money or a plane to Cuba...they want to kill people. We have a whole program and there is even a book on the subject i use. I always remind school folks and parents that in the overwhelming percentage of school shooter incidents, the killer has done his damage and is dead before the cops arrive.

We take school shootings very seriously out here, like many states we had a major paradigm shift after Columbine. We teach a new protocol to all cops called "Active Shooter Response" where we essentially train street cops, plainclothes cops, etc. basic SWAT procedures to deal with a school/business shooter. SWAT personnel also tour schools taking photos and "mapping" the location so there is a database with info available.

At some schools, CCW holders can carry if they are teachers or parents. Off duty cops can carry everywhere as can most retired cops.

Luckily, the schools I deal with do not have metal detectors, bomb dogs, prison-like fencing, etc.

H0 04, I am very glad your children were not exposed to any life threatening intentions that day.

Latest posts