Magnaflow Issue??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lyon

Reaction score
So I have had my Magnaflow exhaust for about three weeks now and I have a question about the sound. First off when it was installed all we did was cut out the factory resonator and muffler and replace it with a Magnaflow muffler and some extra pipe to fill the gap. One thing that I have noticed is that during acceleration at certain RPM ranges and at certain speeds I get an odd sound that appears to be coming from underneath the center console area a little behind the pre-cats. Now everything that was installed doesn't even start until somewhere around the back seats but all the same I checked for bad welds and loose brackets but found nothing. The best way that I can describe the sound would be some type of resonation or vibration (not of the pipes but of the air in the pipes, if that even makes sense). I do also have the K&N intake. I'm wondering if cutting the resonator off and only putting the Magnaflow muffler on has changed the pressure in the system and is perhaps causing this noise. If that is the case do you think that adding either the factory resonator or maybe a Magnaflow resonator would take care of the issue? I know that it would quite the exhaust down a little but if it got rid of the noise I could live with that. I just don't want to spend $75 to have a Magnaflow resonator installed and then it not solve the issue and then have a quieter muffler. Any ideas or similar experiences?? Thanks in advance for your help.

When you intalled the exhaust system, did you also replace the muffler bearings? That's always a good idea anytime you're doing exhaust work. Might want to check it out.

26fd85461088b6289ee14679f5ca9cef.jpg

:lol::p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It's been a long afternoon here at work, and I'm bored!:D

You can either live with it, switch to the plastic tube intake, or put a strip of dynamat on the tube itself.

So why didn't it make that sound with the stock exhaust, or did it but because the tone was different I never noticed it? Would adding one of those Magnaflow resonators possibly help?

The stock exhaust was more restrictive, thereby eliminating the self-resonance of the intake tube due to volume and speed.

No.

Right but the plastic tube isn't chrome!! The dynamat defeats the purpose of having a chrome intake, and living with it well that's like having my cake but not being able to eat it!:wacko:

He didn't say they were three GOOD answers! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that all depends on how you look at it, they are all good legitimate fixes to the problem but is fixing the problem more important to me than the way it looks?? I don't know!:(

Cut a 3/4" by 2 foot piece of dynamat Xtreme. Put it on the bottom of the tube. Nobody'll see it. :)

Hmmm, you removed the RESONATOR and now have resonance. Imagine that... Replace the resonator.

Sound can travel so you might hear it under the console.

Not saying it is but many years ago I had strait thru muffler like magna-flow. The inside flow tube welds were come loose. Causing the same kind of strange resonance. I dont remember the brand. Too many years ago. Just an idea from experiance.

I did the Magnaflow first. I did the intake 3 months later. I had the same sound. I just fixed it differently. It's the intake. Started on the first drive after I installed it.

Long story, but trust me... You don't want to do it. It involved removing the top half of my engine.

Ok yea, never mind. I'll try the dynamat! Hopefully that'll solve it! If not maybe I'll try putting a resonator on it, and if that doesn't work then maybe I'll resort to changing my intake. I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of anyone else here on the forum with a similar experience because I know a lot of you have the Magnaflow muffler and K&N intake! By the way Dingo, you've got a definate customer for the Fitch system once you get that set up, the tie down delete plates once you get them, possibly the DMH exhaust, not to mention all the other mods I've talked to you about from the salvage yard packages that you plan to put together. Thanks again.

Latest posts