Lowering

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodrodon Dykes

Reaction score
I plan to lower the ST on sunday with 3" blocks in the back and take out the keys in the front. my question is, how long can I wait to get an alignment? The most I would wate will be 4 days. will this be ok? or does it have to be aligned immediately after? alos what size U-bolts do i get? thanks in advanced

Boodro

I'm going on 3 years :D Went 1 year on the stock Michelins which already had 40k, they weren't that bad when they came off. My Goodyears have had a year each front and rear w/ rotations, they're finally starting to show it.

I actually plan to have it aligned when I get my new tires, hopefully in a week or so.

lol, alright thanks Jeff, do you know what size bolts? I think at autozone they had 3/8 and 1/2, wasnt sure. also did you take your keys completly out? thanks again

Boodro

I had 2" blocks on mine for a few months. Never did go for a re-alignment but again, I only had them on for a few months.

For the 2" blocks, the bolt diameter was 1/2". The length from the top of the "U" to the thread ends wass 10.5". I didn't trim them although I could have because there was about 1.25" of threads exposed after the block installation. I wouldn't think you'd need much longer than that for the 3" but I would probably go a little longer cause you can always trim them after install.

Might want to think about trimming your bump stops while you're at it or get some shorter aftermarket stops. Although, I liked the way the Trac looked lowered and it only roughened up the ride slightly, I was tired of banging the bump stops even backing out of my driveway. Didn't want to trim mine or buy new shorts so I just removed the blocks and re-keyed the torsion bars.

Hope this helps.

Dave S.

If you have an Oreilly Auto parts close by..All most all have this kit or can get it...

Superior Products...By the truck planogram..I used that kit and it worked perfectly...It is alot better than Belltech's kit...

Hey guys. When I lowered mine I could only go about 1 or maybe 1 1/2" in the front. I am wanting another 1 1/2' more but the bolts are all the way down. I seen on a website where they sell different ends for the torsion bar that are on a different degree to lower or raise to acheive what you are looking for. For one I try to do all my work my self but I cant seem to find someone that can tell me how to change the ends. I read a very generic or basic instruction on how to install but it really didnt tell me anything. It did mention a torsion bar unloading tool. So I guess you have to take to load off the bar so you can change the end. I was also wondering if jacked up high enough with the tires hanging would that unload the bar?

Latest posts