Lowering questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riyoku Delvey

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 ST with stock wheels. I'm wanting to lower it 2 inches, but I've got a few concerns that weren't made clear through anyone else's previous posts. Will I need different sized shocks than the ones I have now? Also, I've read about "camber adjustments"....what is this, and also suggestions on bump stops? Can anyone give me a list of things I will need to buy(including prices) to lower my ST? What are the best looking tires(sizes) for a 2 inch lowering job, but I don't want to use wheel spacers or anything like that. How difficult will this project be? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also please post pics of lowered Tracs.

Last edited by a moderator:
TT is a "Torsion Twist". It basically means adjusting the tension of the torsion bars to adjust ride height up front. This is accomplished by loosening or tightening the adjustment bolts located in the crossmember where the torsion bars end. As far as special equipment, all that is required is longer U bolts and lowering blocks for the rear, and camber adjustment plates for the front. You can get generic kits online, or at the auto parts store, but you'll probably have to re-bend the new U bolts to fit around the Explorer's larger axle. Or you can buy the Explorer Express X-Spec kit which has the correct U-bolts and camber plates included. You will have to go to an alignment shop to have the plates installed, and get the wheels re-aligned, but the blocks, U bolts and torsion bar adjustment can be done at home if you're comfortable doing it, and have the proper tools.

Depending on the kit, and labor costs, it can run you around $200. This is a very broad ballpark number as it depends on the kit you buy, and how much you have the shop do.

When I did it, I bought the X-Spec kit (3 inch blocks and camber plates), installed the blocks and U bolts myself, and took the torsion bolts all the way out to let it settle as far as it would go, then took it to a shop to get the plates installed, and get it aligned. So for me, about $150 for the kit, and 50 for the labor.

Before:

[Broken External Image]:

After:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowered mine with blocks and TT...Had alignment done..No need for camber plates...Just rotate tires often..Had mine done for about 15k miles and no problems.. and no abnormal tire wear!! Cost me 20$ for the lowering kit and an hours worth of time..

Thanks! The tires pictured are 285/60R17 mounted on 17x9 rims, so they're REALLY wide, but almost the same circumference as the stock tires with 16 inch rims. They do rub, though not much. Only when turned to endstop.