Lower my ST and got pinned underneath!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny Walukow

Reaction score
Hello y'all. That's right. I was trying to lower my ST and got pinned down as my jack stand slipped on me..!!! Screaming for my wife and of course she can't hear as she was upstairs. Good thing I can reached my floor jack and lift back the ST using my left hand. Glad I had another jack stand holding on the other side.

Basically the leaf springs and the "almost square" thing that has holes for U bolts dropped on me? I thought it shouldn't even when I got all the U bolts out. I did lowered my Explorer about 7 years ago with 2" blocks and didn't recall the leaf springs dropped. Any idea why? I'm still shaking 9 hours later. I had to call my Toyota Mechanic cousin to help me puting back the springs. Was to scared to continue.

So.., any idea why?

I remember the shock on my dad's face when sitting at the dinner table my mom informed him that his good friend died when a car fell on him.

I've been praying and kiss my daughter (and my wife) more ever since!

I didn't think I unscrew the wrong bolt. There were only four nuts that holding the U bolts. My question now is this: does the shock mount suppose to stay after we loosen all the four bolts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The shock must be disconnected from the spring plate before removing the nuts on the u-bolts.

Paul, can you go to this link: http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/HowtoLowerYourST.PDF

and see the first picture on page six as reference to my questions below.

Are you saying that I need to disconnect the shock from the U bolts mount? If I do that, will the shock move up or down since being "disconnected" from the mount? And if it does how easy to bring it back together to the mount?

i didnt remove the plate,

i simply unscred the nuts on the factory bolts about halfway, then put a floor jack under it that supported the the plate as the nuts got removed completely so it wouldnt shoot back

added the new ubolts and blocks, jacked up the plate to compress the shock, then retightened the nuts on the new ubolts...

pretty easy and safe,

large 5ton floor jack, a 2 ton jack and 2 jack stands.... that was it... with a few beers :banana:

if you need help or have any question bout lowering the trac man, send me a msg if you want ill give u my number so you can txt me or call me with questions

if you need help or have any question bout lowering the trac man, send me a msg if you want ill give u my number so you can txt me or call me with questions

Thanks man! I do have one question for right now: What kind of beer did you have? :haveabeer:

Whenever I lowered mine like 2 years ago, after I unscrewed all the 4 nuts holding the ubolts, the leafsprings and everything dropped down rather harshly and clanging hard, completely took me by surprise but thank goodness I was not underneath. Just put a jack underneath the square piece and lower it down slowly on the other side if you still need to do it.

Kyle

Whenever I lowered mine like 2 years ago, after I unscrewed all the 4 nuts holding the ubolts, the leafsprings and everything dropped down rather harshly and clanging hard, completely took me by surprise but thank goodness I was not underneath. Just put a jack underneath the square piece and lower it down slowly on the other side if you still need to do it.

Yup..! That's exactly what happened to. Only thing is, I was underneath!! I'm glad I had another jack stand holding the other side, 20" rims and floor jack near by.

Finally got it lowered and did it only little less than two hours. Forgot the Corona and the lime though. Only got myself Sierra Mist (Lemon-Lime Soda). :bwahaha:

Latest posts