Lower Ball Joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew C

Reaction score
I just found out today that both my lower ball joints have play in them, so i replacing them. My ST has 80,000km 2005 .. i never knew that they could go so fast. Also this might sound stupied but what to the ball joints do? , cause thay are costing me 600% installed ;)

They hold the controll arm to the spindle and they pivit on every turn or bump...

The sad part is the parts are only $40.00 for both....

Todd Z

Help me out here. I understand ALL ball joints have SOME play in them. Don't some non-reputable shops pull the "your ball joints have play in them and need to be replaced" story just to make a buck?

I heard about this years ago after a shop told me I needed new ball joints when I took my car in for another problem. I had no rattles or loose steering or anything that would indicate a problem. After the "repairs" I didn't notice any difference.

Fact or Fiction?

Andrew,

Ford has never made very good suspension parts. Ball joints are a commen thing to go on these vehicles. If you could get a hold of a ball joint press they are very easy to change. I can change them out in 30 minutes. The flat rate manual at the dealer will say 4.6 hours!!!

Jared,

Some ball joints do allow some "play". If they seem worn then the correct thing would be to messure the amount of play with a dial indicator. How many shops would actualy do that though??? Most tech's go by the amount of play. For example... Inner tie rods should have no play in them. If I see one that just has a tiny bit, I don't try to sell new ones.

Chris

thx for the info guys, i replaced mine with $70 ball joints i forgot the name but i think spicer, but the got grease fittings on them :) and the ST controls a lot better on bumps and steering, I figure my socks are next when i have the money around the 100,000km point.

86,000 miles on my OE ball joints and still working great.

Buy a tool set, a jack, and some jackstands and do it yourself. By the time you buy that stuff, you will still be money ahead. Ball joints are not hard to change, and they are cheap to buy.

Tom