Lower Ball Joint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
I replaced the lower ball joints in my truck yesterday. Thanks to swshawaii for a link to a good how-to and cayman for his how-to!

It took me about 5 hours, including a run to Advance Auto for a pickle fork. Yes, you do need a pickle fork!

Some advice

Put the grease fitting in when you get the joint in. The first side I didn't and had to take brake caliper, dust shied, etc. off to get to it. Make sure you orient them so you can get to them for greaseing.

Use lots of PB Blaster!

The bolt holding the upper joint is knocked out. You might have to twist it to loosen it but it doesn't screw out.

I used the ball joint press to take out the first one, used a mallet for the second one. The mallet was easier.

Pressing the joint in was difficult because the screw in the press was high and hit the cv axle. Not sure how to get around that other than taking the cv axle out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the tops and bottoms at the same time, along with the wheel bearings.

(the Terminator was just being systematic :) )

When doing this I had no problem with the axle getting in the way. Its easy to remove the wheel bearings and you might as well change the bearings while you "are in there" since they can be had for as little as $50 apiece online.

BTW Pickle forks on the air hammer are a waste of time. Just hit the fork with a small sledge.

I think my lower ball joints went prematurely at 80k. And I think it was because I was running high tire pressure to save on gas. I'm running 38 psi now (i was running 44 psi)

Latest posts