Lower ball joint help and bushings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal Kyer

Reaction score
i have the lower control arms off my 01 sport track. Does anyone have any tricks for getting the lower factory ball joints out of the control arm? Do i need to rent a press?? Also I bought some new bushings for the lower control arm and am looking for some tricks to removing the old ones. Anythng will help. Thanks.

You'll definetly need the ball joint press for the lowers, be forwarned it doesn't sit perfectly in the underside of the control arm but it still works. You might have a tougher time with the control arm not firmly mounted to the truck. Hopefully you have a big vice to hold the control arm now, or wait till you have it back on the truck to do'em. You can rent that press at any parts store.

I haven't done the control arm pivot bushings myself but I've heard tales of using torchs to burn out similar bushings, not sure if the ST's are that stubborn.

good luck

Most auto parts stores press them out and in for you if you don't have the vise big enough to hold it....

It is not worth $30.00 to get hurt...

Todd Z

Every auto parts store that i called, Napa, Autozone, orielly, carquest, autozone dont press balljoints. any other suggestions??

I bought a balljoint press for $30.00.

Now for the control arm bushings I just scratched my head. Ended up going to the local Midas and paid one of the guys that had just clocked out $20.00 to change the bushings for me :D He used an air hammer to knock em out and a BFM to knock 'em back in.

good luck.

Every auto parts store that i called, Napa, Autozone, orielly, carquest, autozone dont press balljoints. any other suggestions??

Try local machine shops.