low hum?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl boger

Reaction score
I have a low hum from about 15mph on up. That is of course until I go around a left turn and the weight shifts to one side. Then she's quite and smooth as ice.

Does it come back when you go around a right hand turn?

Also, roll down the windows to try and tell which corner of your Trac it is coming from.

I am thinking maybe a wheel bearing.

I was thinking that too. The weight has to shift off the driver side of the trac and as soon as weight shifts back it comes back. You can feel it in the cab. Kinda harmonic. Thought it was the mud tires till I had the radio down and felt and heared the sound disappear. And it only starts at about 15mph. It doesnt seem to change with my speed so much like the wheelbearings ive delt with in the past. Thought perhaps a half shaft but they both seem ok as in the boots arent torn and grease flung everywhere I mean.

I just did my front wheel bearings and the project was not too bad. The biggest challenge was getting the right angle and torque to take out the bolts for the hub assembly. The factory LockTight makes it hard. Then, once the bolts are out, some creative prying and tapping with a hammer gets the hub assembly out of the friction fit in the spindle.

I might have pinched the CV boot band and boot causing a lean of grease from the CV Joint while uninstalling the hub assembly bolts. Caution.

There is a project posted for this as well.

Latest posts