Loud Noise With Light Vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardsale

Reaction score
'01 Job 1, 4WD, 170,000 mi.

Recently have a loud growling noise similar to a hub (front wheel) bearing noise, but from 35 MHP and above. Sounds kind of like aggressive off-road tire noise. The vibration is high frequency and not severe. It is most noticeable from about 60 to 75 MPH, and decreases somewhat between 75 and 78 MPH. Here’s an odd characteristic – the noise completely goes away when turning right sharply (about two-third to a full turn on the steering wheel).

It’s almost as if it’s in one of the half-axles. The hub bearings are fairly new (17,000 mi.) and the tie rods seem okay, as do the ball joints.

Took it to the dealer and was told they think it’s something in the rear differential and would cost about $500.00 to diagnose. My perception is that it is coming from the front.

I swapped the spare to the front left and front right with no difference.

I am taking it to an off-road performance shop to have the differentials re-geared and, since they will have the differentials open, am having them diagnose and check all the axles. Just curious if anyone has heard of something like this.

Latest posts