Lost the ST's Key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Knx

Reaction score
Hey folks, got myself in a tough spot today, while at work I seem to have misplaced my only key to the ST. She's parked inside the warehouse at work and probably safer there than anywhere else, but I'm not sure what to do about getting a new key.

The duplicate is used for the security system. Can Ford find the code for the key and make another or will they have to replace the entire steering column lock and code a new key(s) for it and if doing that what happens to the key for the security will that have to be changed as well?

D :(

You are going to have to shell out some big bucks. You will need to get a new key cut (I am pretty sure the dealer can do this based on your VIN, but I could be wrong) and you will need to get it programed at the dealer. You might as well get two more made at the same time so that you have a third spare. I say this beacause if you have two keys you can program more keys yourself. Without the second another lost key will mean more big bucks for you to shell out. Good luck, hopefully you can get this figured out.

Yeah, kinda figured it was gonna cost. Well we know where all this w/e's overtime is goin'!:angry:

Should have had that backup done!

D-

if you pull the spare out of the alarm system you can get 2 new key made apx. cost $100 and get 2 keys if you have 2 kays copies are cheep $10 on ebay and you code it your self and have wallmart cut it. without the second key you need to pull the code out of the computer. as i have been told.

Thought about that one too. I had the Viper alarm system pro installed for warranty purposes and of course the store is closed. Being as though this is a holiday w/e they may not be back until Tuesday!

Hopefully I'll find it since I'll be back on the same jobsite tomorrow, there are a couple possibilities and I'll exhaust them 1st before launching off to the dealers.

Hey, if nothing else I'll have saved gas:)

D-

The duplicate is used for the security system.

So do you have remote start installed?

If so, a key cut from a locksmith could start the vehicle since there is a key in proximity of the PATS system, therefore, the vehicle thinks there is the proper key used.

Follow me?

Tom

silly me i did not think of that so just pull out the key and get a $1 key made put the factory key back into the alaram use the $1 key to start. tom you are so smart.

Yes, it does have the remote starter, headin' out to work now and I'll give that a try. Thanks!;)

D-

You will still be in somewhat of a jam. Even if you pull the key from the security system you will need to get a replacement key in order to get the security system back into operation.

Here is the issue. If you have two keys you can program a third key yourself. If you have no keys or only a single key you can not program any keys (PATS System)..

So, pull the key so that you can use your Track. Go to the dealer and have a second key made at the cost of $70 ish dollars.

Buy a third key from ebay for $10.00. Get it cut anywhere for $2.00 and then program the third key yourself. This way, if you ever lose another key you have two keys. Simply buy another from ebay and do it all over again.

Any other way than the above mentioned way will cost you big money as you MUST have two key to program the third. If not, trip to the dealer or some lock smiths.

Ok, Radio Shack has a Really cheap Metal Detector. the chaeap one is about $60. Might help you find them depending on the Place you are working.

then return it. and get your money back..

I know one of the store told me people do it all the time. thats how I got a good one for cheap. (OPEN Box)

Ok, Radio Shack has a Really cheap Metal Detector. the chaeap one is about $60. Might help you find them depending on the Place you are working.

then return it. and get your money back..

I know one of the store told me people do it all the time. thats how I got a good one for cheap. (OPEN Box)

You will still be in somewhat of a jam. Even if you pull the key from the security system you will need to get a replacement key in order to get the security system back into operation.

How is that? There is already one PATS key in operation and it is being used by the alarm with Remote Start.

Since the vehicle itself, thinks there is a PATS key in the ignition, why cant't a cheapie key from Home Depot in the ignition work. The vehicle already thinks there is a PATS key in the ignition, all you would really need is the actual key code to unlock the tumblers in the switch.

Understand where I am coming from?

Tom

I was referring to if he wants a third, (replacement) key.

Tom is correct.

If you do nothing but get a key and have it cut your good to go since the system is sensing the signal from the alarm key.

Definitely the most affordable way to go.

You would need the transponder to remotely start the vehicle, and if you have that you can disable the entire security system.

Without the transponder you could not deactivate the system (it is currently activated), so I believe, with a cheap key and the remote start it could work but that would definitely be a very temporary solution.

She has a number of other security features that would make it more than enough of a hassle for anyone w/o the transponder.

I'm taking her in to the dealers as soon as I remove the spare, have them make a duplicate, and use those to make a 3rd backup.

It's time for an oil change anyway. :)

D-

No, I'm not driving now, have a company vehicle. Have not bothered with removing the spare just yet figured I'd wait until Tuesday morning.

Kinda just plan on removing the spare, getting that duplicated at the dealers and then getting a blank from ebay and programming that with the other 2, reinstalling the extra for the remote system and stashing the 3rd along with the extra set of house keys!

That oughtta teach me!

D-

Honestly, I wouldn't screw with getting a key at the dealer since you have that alarm system. Just buy some cheapie keys from a locksmith and be done with it.

Tom

Latest posts