Lost Reverse Today :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Unfortunately, I lost reverse today when getting to work. Like other posts I've read, nothing made me think something was wrong until I got to work and always back the ST in. Pulled up next to the spot, put it in reverse, thought I heard a "clunk" and then nothing, engine just revs. Reverse lights come on and all, but there just isn't anything there. I pushed it into the parking spot, as I had to get to work. But the forward gears are fine. (not sure for how long though)

Anybody else have this? Thoughts, recommendations?

I've had my ST for 15 years. 245,000 miles. Leaks oil pretty bad lately, couple things needed here and there, but now with losing reverse, I get the weird feeling that this may be the beginning of the end. I worry that I am looking at about $2000 for a new transmission.

What would you do? (just looking for some advice)

Thanks,

Tommy

I had the same thing happen last year. Luckily found a lot of drive thru parking or parked facing up hill spots, then rolled out of them to leave. Had 3 estimates, all over $1000, went with the cheapest and all is well now. Gotta get it done! Good luck. :driving:

Thanks RedRanger. That's my plan for now, avoiding areas that may require using reverse. When yours went out, what did it end up being?

Can be a blown out transmission valve gasket. Is your overdrive light flashing? Check the fluid level?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the fluid level? At 245K miles though your 5R55 is prolly done. Search internet or YouTube for 5R55 problems and you'll see. Automatic transmissions are second costliest piece on modern cars. Regular fluid changes are money in the bank.

Latest posts