Lost my ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to hide keys, hide them. There are places to hide them, but I will not say where. This is the internet for crying out loud.

Tom

Scootch, others, have you ever heard of an instance where insurance denies a claim because keys were left in the vehicle? Note, I assume the keys were stowed and the vehicle locked in this guys, so this isn't your typical: windows down, keys in the ignition theft.

TJR

While its easy to say that it is not a good idea not to have a spare set, or any keys to your vehicle in it, I think this is a little like blaming Coors for a drunk driver causing an accident. Short of obvious negligence, somebody taking my locked (or even for that matter an unlocked vehicle) is still theft. I have seen the new tow trucks, they can move my tuck almost as fast as I can get in and drive away, so if its that easy should that void my auto insurance. I have been with the same carrier for over 18 years, without a claim, I am sure they will do all they can to say that the theft was some how my fault, all you have to do is look at what they did to claiments in New Orleans, that still does not make it right. I have learned over the years not to expect people and or especially companys to do the right thing. A little synical, but mostly true. The fact that in the past thirty years of driving, I have been saved numerous times by a hidden set of keys, and this is my first stolen vehicle, if my insurance does not pay, them I am screwed, but I refuse to belive I did any thing wrong.

Greg

I'm with you Zeke. Locking your doors is a "reasonable measure" to prevent auto theft. You should only have to apply reasonable measures to be covered.

Keys in the car will not create an issue as far as the insurance goes.

It is like parking your car in the middle of the freeway due to breaking down. You were careless to leave it there as you probably could have drifted of the road way, but it does not give another the right to run into it as it was a careless act.

Obviously nobody should take anything that is not their's. And just as obviously, if someone wants something bad enough, they will figure out a way to take it. However, I would never lock my keys up in one of my vehicles simply because they are so easy to get into. They have glass windows, for crying out loud. My wife often locks her purse (minus her keys) in her trunk, but I still don't think that is a great idea. If the keys and purse were under the seat, the thieves probably didn't see them until they were in the car, and it just turned out to be a lucky break for them. Hope you get it back, or at least that your insurance company comes through for you.

BigBear,

I doubt it was a lucky break that the guys that stole Zeke's ST just happened to pick at PATS vehicle that had keys inside.

I rather suspect that they were being watched closely. I further suspect that in warm climates a lot of people with Ford's with keypads lock their keys in their cars, and many aren't that inconspicuous when doing so.

TJR

Latest posts