lost keys (help)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul bessey

Reaction score
is there a way to track down lost keys because of the chip in the key? i was out plowing and put my keys on the dash of my town truck and some how my keys fell out , gone cant find . is there a way to find them using the chip in the key? if anyone can help i really need my keys they had alot of keys on them that i really need . i used a metal detector to try to find them but came up with nothing. They could be anywhere. this might be something someone should make if they know how... any help please email me at [email protected] thanks paul:banghead:

Good idea in theory but I doubt it would happen. The transponder in the key isn't strong enough to be of any use unless it's in the ignition switch.

Losing keys sucks though!

Hopefully, you have a 2002 or newer Ford. Anything before that has been deleted from Ford's database. Every model year, they delete the tenth year previous. Since they have 2012's coming out soon, they cut it off at 2002 instead of 2001. Your other alternative would be a locksmith that, hopefully, has the equipment to reflash the vehicle's computer to accept the new keys. If your local locksmith doesn't have that capability, they can at least make a generic, non-PATS key that you can use to tow the vehicle to the dealer, have that traced to a couple of new keys, and have them reflash the computer.

Latest posts