Looking to purchase a Sport Trak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new buyer

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am currently looking at getting a 2005 Sport Trac XLT and I am wondering what I need to look out for. The vehicle has 154000km (95700m). How reliable are these motors. How many KM can I expect out of these motors? Also at what milestones do these vehicles generally start requiring major repairs? Are there any questions I should be asking the dealers before I make any mistakes. This will be my first vehicle purchase so I am a little nervous about making a major mistake.

Looking forward to hearing back some feedback from some knowledgeable people on these boards

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 04, with no trouble at all, but again, I only have 43K miles on it. The transmissions were a concern on some years, and when the tranny fluid was changed, you had to add an additive from Ford. I didn't like the rocking horse ride with the stock shocks, so I changed them out at 7K miles with Ranchero shocks. Just pick something like front end trouble in the search section, and will see what others had trouble with. Also,there are so many improvements with mods you can do, just look through the member's lists to see them.

Reliability of a used ST is like any car: Depends on how it was maintained by previous owner(s). Dealership has the upper hand, as they probably don't have any service history to show you. They should be willing to provide a CARFAX report. If you've got your eye on a particular car, ask to take it to your own mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. You'll be charged an hour of shop time, but it's money well spent.

I agree with Vic. You can find a low mileage one that has sludge in the block because the oil was never changed and you can find them with 100k miles and in excellent condition. My '05 has 92k and has been solid. No major repairs so far. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel inertia switch, fuel vapor purge valve, and idle air control valve. Other then fuel pump the rest were easy to replace and inexpensive. So far I am very pleased with my 'Trac. And I agree with previous remark about shocks. The Ford shocks were too soft but I suspect any one you are looking at will have had the shocks replaced.

I have 239,000 miles on mine, engine and trans re original, synthetic oil changed every 12-15k, trans every 2 years, rear is starting to make shudder noises, but I tow a camper, too. have dealer change the fluids out, and a carfax is a must. rust will happen on front fenders first, followed by tailgate. I have mine Ziebarted, tho...

Rookie, since you're in Canada maybe you can tell us if there's a major difference in how the roads are maintained in BC versus other regions - say Ontario, Quebec, upper Midwest or NE US. I know there's a lot of salt used on the roads in winter. Resulting rust on older cars there is a big issue there. I'm thinking the winters in BC are milder, so does that mean less salt is used?

ST Rookie, my son has a 2005 Sport Trac XLT that he bought used in July 2006 w/like 52k miles on it. He now has over 206,000 miles on it now. And it still has the OEM eng. & trans. BTW: it's a 4x4. I saw it @ Easter lunch today and it still looks showroom new. This recomendation comes from a family of Sport Tracs. I have an '01 ST [Gen 1] & a '10 STA [Gen 2] also.

It's like w/anything, it's all in how you take care of them and they've been taken care of ...

HAPPY EASTER!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts