Looking for...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2004 Adrenalin 4x4. One of the factory chrome rims are leaking air where the rim meets the tire. I have already tried a newer tire to confirm it is not the tire. The shop I took the truck to, noticed that one rim might be faulty. So looks like I need to find another factory OEM 2004 Chrome Adrenalin 16x7 rim. I have tried a search and have found pretty much nothing. I would rather not purchase a new set of rims just to replace one, but that would only happen depending on price. I run 40psi in each Mickey Thompson tire I have, and in a weeks time, the one rim gets down to 20psi, while the others are still at 40psi.

Any help would be great to hear.

I had a similar situation with a rim on my Landcruiser. I took it to Walmart and they used some kind of sealant. It never leaked again. I have since sold that and now have the Sport Trac. The corrosion was caused by a previous owner getting dirt between the tire and the rim which then caused the rim to corrode a bit.

Hope this helps and it may save you the cost of a new rim.

It can happen that the chrome separates from the base material (known problem on Mercedes with chromed alloy rims) and the air escapes trough the gap.

There are shops that re-chrome rims as a fix. I recall that it's kind of expensive, but under $200.00 per rim (and less expensive than a new set of rims). Many places do this as an exchange, so you don't have to wait.

I had an alluminum rim build up corosion on the bead seat. Power wire brush and bead sealer took care of it.

I had on my EBay watch list for months some '05 Adrenalin rims. The listing is not up on EBay but on Car-parts.com they are listed as still being available. Bishop's Auto Recycle in Middletown, Ct. They are $95 each and they will ship because they have a EBay store. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the ideas. I went back to FORD about this, and they have now fixed the same rim twice. Second time, grind down a part the rim that seemed causing the problem. Used bead seal and its still leaking. Not as bad, but still. I have searched many of places. Perhaps, I will just deal with it until Spring gets here and buy another set of wheels. Of course, not really what I want to do.

Latest posts