Looking for performance exhaust...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Byrne

Reaction score
i just installed a cold air intake and it has made a great improvment to the throttle responce. now i want to install a performance exhaust. my question is, which one is the right choice? Gibson, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.. if anyone has an opinion please let me know. thanks for the help!:banana:

I had the SS Magnaflow and loved it.

Deep sound without being LOUD, improved both my performance as well as my MPG's, (as long as I drove like a normal human being...)

I think Magnaflow is the only vendor that makes a "bolt-on" full exhaust kit for the Gen 2 Trac. If you want something else, you're best bet is to just buy your choice of muffler and have a shop install it, along with a custom cat-back exhaust. Doing this is also most often much cheaper than buying the Magnaflow kit.

Personally, I prefer Flowmaster mufflers.

Magnaflow #16679 cat back system, S/S muffler. Nice idle and cruising sound, but has a bit of a growl when you open it up. Very nice, I give it 5 gold stars. Planetmagnaflow.com is where I got mine, best price, no shipping charge and I made a reasonable bid of $425 and got it. (1 year ago) Good luck shopping! BC

i had the magnaflow cat-back on my 07 V-8.

as far as a performance boost you will see slim to none but the sound is AWESOME :banana:

matt,

if there is any perf gain, it would be so minimal.

imo, with the magnaflow on a V-8 it is more the sound then the perf that you will enjoy

I just ordered the magnaflow from the site you suggested - PlanteMagnaflow.

They countered my offer of $375 with $389 and free shipping. That made my jaw drop.

Anyone with the part # for a setup like the above mentioned for an Adrenalin - rear exhaust without modifications? These parts are all rear side -

I believe that Flowmaster will presurve more back pressure. You want some of this because if you get rid of all of it, like I did, you will lose a small amount of low end torque. Obviously, you gain it back in the high end. The Magnaflow is literally a straight through design and I think it sounds amazing. I see and here a lot more Flowmaster units on the road than I do Magnaflow....well....judging by all the redneck Flowmaster decals in rear windows! I like having a sound that is different. The Magnaflow really does sound awesome imo.

It's also way cheaper to just replace your resinator with a straight pipe and replace your muffler with a Magnaflow or Flowmaster. It's about 1/3-1/4th the cost of a catback and it does the exact same thing. For such a marginal performance gain, I'd rather pocket the extra cash or blow it on another marginal gain mod.

If you're looking for big number performance gain, just finance a supercharger and be done with it forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice a drop in low end torque with my Magnaflow. I did as mentioned above: bought the SS muffler, and had that welded in. I then removed the resonator with straight pipe. It sounds great, but I did lose SOTP torque.