Looking for info on how to recover info from Hard Drive?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Basically, a friend of mine bought a new computer. He then formated his old computer (Laptop). Before doing so, he copied the information he wanted onto a CD/DVD disk. However, this disk is no good and the information can not be pulled off the disk.

He is wondering if there is a way to get the info from his formated drive or from his corrupt CD/DVD?

Any clues????

Thanks in advance

CoastieJoe,

Typically, when this happens, you are hosed.

People think that optical recordable media like CD and DVD are good for archival, but they are actually very poor. Many recorded CDs and DVDs can't be read in as little as a year after they are recorded. The dye inside the discs continues to cloud, almost like a cataract, and over time it cannot be read.

TJR

There are several utilities for recovering data from a formatted drive.

Easy Recovery by on-track is what I have used in the past. If you want to email me I might be able to offer some solutions for you.

If recovery programs are unsucccessful, and the lost info is essential, look into Gillware. They are by far the best out there, not to mention the most affordable, as far as traumatic losses of info are concerned. We're talking serious data recovery, to include clean room work if necessary.

I had to use them this year after my hard drive had a catastrophic failure.

Some of the information is fairly critical as it is the data needed to support some Government type stuff.

I will pass on your thoughts....

Thanks all.

wow that sucks. I've still got CDRWs from 1992 burned at 2X that are still readable today but I've burnt disks from last week that aren't worth 2 craps. I think it all boils down to good vs cheap media. I always use the best media both DVD and CD. I use to keep all my valuable files on 10gb cassette drives ha. Good luck getting the files back tho I've tried some programs for the same thing and they didn't work worth a lick.

People want to burn data at lightning speed. Truth is, a slow burn speed is better. Like Ions said, I have CDR's burned on my old Ricoh SCSI CD-RW at 2X speed that are like new and the 40X CD-R's of today are garbage.

Tom

Like you, I have found slow speed burns to be of MUCH better quality and also like you, I am using them still today and they are 5 to 7 years old...

Latest posts