Looking for a great deal on a set of 4 tires.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any great deals on tires right now? I need to get a new set and I just missed the buy 3 get the 4th free deal at TiresPlus. Does anyone know of any other major company having a big sale right now? I am looking for size 255/70/16. I am not partial to any manufacturer, so long as the tires are at least decent quality and aren't going to need to be replaced in 20k miles.

If you have a Discount tire in your area, they always have fair deals. I have used them for years. In my area they have always beat everyone, when it comes to stock sizes. Some times I hum-haw alittle and say is that the best price. A few times they would knock the price down to their internet price....

I just did a comparison between tirerack.com and tires.com (discount tires) for tires for my girlfriend's car. Tirerack was $3 cheaper per tire not taking into account shipping. $3 is not a lot but hey I'll take any discount I can get right now! :D What I also like about tirerack.com is the user feedback on the tires. Even if you don't buy the tires from them, you can definitely find out what the pros and cons are for the tires you are looking at.

Also I'm sure that your local sales tax will probably be cheaper then shipping charges. What

Keep the following in mind when buying tires online...

- shipping is usually $20 per tire (@ tirerack.com anyways)

- you have to pay for mounting and balance, ~$15 per tire.

- rotations probably won't be covered since you didn't buy the tires at the shop you had them installed at.

I have done these calculations in the past, and after all the additional stuff not included with online purchase, prices were about the same and that still doesn't include future tire rotations. You may want to add all this stuff up and then check a few local shops to see just how much money you will actually save.

I agree with Spaceman, there are the extras that need to be kept in mind when buying online. However most places charge additional for mounting and balance anyways. Shipping would be a killer. I need to get the tires soon, so I would prefer to get them in a local store than having to get them shipped. I am not sure if there is a Discount Tire around, but I will check. Anyone else know of any places offering great deals right now?

ProComp is having a deal right now...buy 3 get the 4th free. That's what I'm doing on my ST and I saved $200 on my 33's. I know 4wheeparts.com sells them and they also have an where if you buy the "Tire Warranty", you get free shipping. I'm not sure if that is neccessary on the ProComps, because most come with a 50,000 mile tread warranty already. Check it out though.

Spaceman, you're absolutely right about additional costs, but even when I've bought tires from local places they charge for all of that and they charge more for the actual tires. Shipping for 4 tires to me is onlly $30 total (on tirerack) and I have them in 2 days.

It also helps that I made friends with all of the guys at the local Monroe place and they usually mount, balance, and rotate my tires for free or close to it :D

I realize my above comments don't apply across the board, they just happen to be observations I made while tire shopping for my first replacements. Though thereare exceptions, for the most part they are accurate. At the beginning of August I put a new set of 275/60r17's on my trac. Total cost.... $440. That was at a local shop, not a chain store. If you bought tires at a local shop and they are charging you extra for mount/balance I <b>STRONGLY SUGGEST</b> you find a better/different shop. These are incorporated into the price of the tire and should not be extras. Most place also include free rotation for the life of the tires. Even if you save money up front from buying online, chances are it will cost you later. Not in all cases, but in most.

Get whatever generic tires your local mom & pop tire shop sells. I could get some Wild Spirit MPT's in that size locally for less than $90 each installed. I have those on my work van, they wear like iron. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: