Looking at a new 2013 Jeep Patriot or a Honda Ridgeline for Carol. Info and opinions on both.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
I've been going thru all of the different makes and models of smaller and midsize SUV's and trucks. Narrowed it down to a brand new Jeep Patriot or a Honda Ridgeline.

Really leaning towards the Jeep Patriot for cost, options, drivetrain and utility but it's a little cramped in the backseat for me.

Really like the Ridgeline for the bed, trunk, dual swing tailgate, extra ground clearance, V6 and tons of space inside front and back.

Ok. So this thread is pretty much only about the info on the Jeep Patriot and Honda Ridgeline, we've checked out and researched all of the other makes and models and they jst don't make the list for options, cost and space.

Anyone have either of these vehicles (they've both been made for awahile now) doesn't have to be a 2013 ?

Any helpful info about either or both vehicles would be greatly appreciated. :eek:nline:

We haven't test driven either of these two yet but will be doing so hopefully soon (if the weather cooperates).

Another question, How would we go about ordering a new vehicle straight from the factory made to order? Most of the models on the lots don't have the right combo of options that we want.

I don't have specific experience with either, but I've yet to buy a Chrysler/Jeep vehicle yet that I haven't kicked myself in the butt either years or sometimes even months after purchasing...yet I go back to the bowl time and time again, suckered by what seem to be a good match on price versus options.

Always at issue for the Chrysler/Jeep products for me; poor gas mileage compared to advertised and poor quality (lots of repairs under and after warranty). I've not had that same experience with any Asian import.

So, my advice, if all ends up being equal, go Honda.

My wife has had a Jeep Liberty and my Dad has had a couple of Rangelines. Both are decent vehicles- reliable, handy, quality, and capable. Liberty did get crappy gas mileage, but Dad's Rangelines gas mileage are nothing to brag about either.

Around here, the Jeep dealer is one of the worst dealers in the state, and the Honda dealer is very good, but a little pricey. I would not own a Jeep if I had to put up with the local dealer. Their service department seems to be staffed with monkeys.

I think you will find that Consumer Reports rates the Ridgeline very high, and that they rate the Jeep Patriot rated very near the bottom.

Good luck.

My 2007 Jeep Commander had nothing but electrical issues, I recently traded it in because it spent more time getting fixed then it did in my possession it felt like. That has scared me away from "new" jeeps for awhile.. totally different vehicles, but just my experience with the newer jeep market. I do know lots of commander/grand cherokee owners who've had little to no issues though so I might have just been unlucky..

The Patriot is their most basic jeep though, and if I'm not mistaken is built using many of the dodge caliber components. One of the options is a CVT which is a little weird to me, but I don't know a lot about them.

My 2007 Jeep Commander had nothing but electrical issues,

My brother in law had the same issues with his '09 JK. Even with all the work he put into it with AEV (direct from factory to AEV) and other high dollar suspension upgrades, the only problems he had with the vehicle were the electronics which had it in the shop every few months, each for something different and successively more problematic than the previous. They were all covered under warranty but it often took a couple weeks for the local dealership to even figure out what the problem was or how to fix it. He eventually traded it straight up for a 2013 Honda Civic.

A guy that works with me has a Commander and hates it. It also spent last week stuck in his dirt driveway because of all the rain.

Enough anecdotal Heep stories:

Other than the looks, which I suppose are an acquired taste much like the ST for many, I would certainly choose the Ridgeline over the Commander. I really liked the one and only Honda I owned and only got rid of it in favor of the ST.

jerry,

it appears it is an "apple vs orange" choice.

patriot vs ridgeline and other.

if you want a "sport trac" style or 4dr pu go ridgeline. i thought the ridgeline was discontiued)

a smaller 4dr suv, i would skip the jeep and go honda crv.

So we're up in the air about what to get for awhile. We plan on having another kid in about two years so we need to really find something big enough for all of us and hauling everything. I'm seriously looking for another 1st Gen Sport Trac just because its perfect for what we need.

Jerry,

We have a 2006 Mountaineer Premier V8 AWD. We have a 13 month old son and a girl that will be here in 5 weeks. The 3rd row for the Mountaineer is nice for excess passengers, though I would NEVER want to travel long distances in that 3rd row.

The size is large enough to give plenty of room while small enough to still get around.

A Jeep Patriot or a Honda Ridgeline would NEVER give you enough room for two kids. We have Little Tom and while a small SUV like an Escape would work, you would be cramped with little to no room for his stroller, let alone grocery bags or anything else.

Nothing smaller than a mid size SUV for me. The gas mileage kinda sucks, 15 to 16 MPG mixed and 22 MPG highway, but for the size it isn't too bad. Unfortunately, it isn't practical for anything smaller.

Theresa's cousin went from a Ford Expedition to a Nissan Pathfinder, hoping they could save some money on gas. With 4 kids, the Pathfinder is too small and the gas mileage savings of a couple MPG's isn't worth the lack of room, power, and usability. They will be going back to an Expedition soon.

Tom

My wife wants to go back to something with 3rd row after trading the Tahoe for the Edge. She loves the Edge but we plan to start a family this year. I really like the Edge but I have to admit, it's not as generous on cargo space once you start piling people and stuff in it. I promised her after we build the house, we'll get her whatever vehicle she wants. She's between the current Tahoe (the next one is gonna be ugggggly), Explorer and an Audi Q7. She loves her Edge but wants something bigger when we have children; also finding out that she does not like FWD. I'll be pushing for the Ex Sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing beats a minivan for all out utilitarian purposes.. as long as you can accept that you own a drive a minivan :rofl:

And who can do that?:bwahaha:

Want to see something funny? Go over to the Explorer forum and read how the new Explorer is NOT a minivan according to its current owners. The doors aren't on tracks, but it's still a minivan in my eyes. A really cool minivan, but a minivan nonetheless. Same as the Edge and how I tell my wife she has a station wagon, much to her disagreement.:rofl:

Jerry,

I rented a '12 patriot for 15 days, last year. Didnt' like it. Felt like I was in a tin can. Plus the 4banger was under powered, IMO.........

I think we're gonna pass on the Patriot and any other small SUV they make now just because their too small. We have one kid now and plan on having another in around two years so we'll need something bigger.

Whatever we get is gonna be the main vehicle since my ST is gonna go under the knife hopefully this summer getting a 1977 Ford Dana 44HD and probably either a Dana 60 rear or full width 8.8 from an F-150. Still have to collect all of the parts.

Hugh, I'm prone to agree with the people who say that the Explorer is not a minivan. And not just because it doesn't have doors on rails. It's a completely different animal stylistically.

Stylistic: yes, different. Function: the same.

You can now look cool hauling kids around and if you get a Sport, you can do it quickly and with a bit of turbo whine.

If I go through a list of functional parts on the Explorer and compare it to a 1996 Dodge Caravan (a vehicle my parents had) and a 1996 Ford Explorer, the similarities are a lot closer to one of those vehicles than the other.

Jerry, after hijacking the thread, what do you have in mind now? The 4th Gen Ex seems to be a real piece; the 4Runners are small inside and are way overpriced. Don't know anything about the Nissan, don't care. The Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave seem pretty nice. Hyundai Santa Fe may fit nicely but I would imagine the interior is also pretty small.

The most bang for your buck on space, IMO, is the Ford Flex. Not the prettiest exterior styling but man those things are nice.

Thinking I'm out of the new car market, nothing in the price range with the options and more importantly space inside. I'm trying to get my buddy/chiropractor to sell me his. I believe it's a 2004 or 5 that's always parked in the parking garage and only used to go on vacation trips to the Carolina's or pick up small stuff at Home Depot, I think he said it only has around 30-40k on it and is highly maintained. I'm gonna make him a cash offer in a month when I get the money together. Hopefully he'll say yes. It would be perfect.

Latest posts