looking at 01 ST for sale

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave bird

Reaction score
Hi all,

been watching this site for a loooooong time. am looking at an 01 ST with 117k highway miles in central Missouri. Here is the description:

"2001 Explorer Sport Trac Truck 4x4 V6 Automatic -- 117k easy miles.

Silver with gray interior, sun roof , tinted glass, factory 5 cd stereo, like new Michelin tires, shocks brakes and rotors recently replaced, receiver hitch installed, ice cold air, etc, etc,. Truck has had excellent maintenance.

This truck has been my daily driver and it got lots of tender loving care. It is in excellent condition – body- interior – and mechanical. Runs and looks like new.

4 wheel drive has been used very little; the truck has never been used off road, as can be seen by looking underneath at the factory stickers still attached to low lying suspension components.

If you are looking for an affordable, really clean, attractive, luxury or work truck – one you can just drive away - (it needs nothing – even the oil was just changed) -- you should look at this one.

It has the factory hard cover over the bed – great for locking your stuff.

- This truck cost $35,000.00 in 2001

- Current loan value is $8,300.00

- Suggested Retail is $9,750.00

- I am asking only $7,850.00"

OK, that is it. What do you all think? Is there anything on the 01's that I should be watching out for? What do you think about the price? It is over my budget by it is a private seller and might be negotiable. Please let me know what you think I should know! Thanks.

The truck cost $35,000?:wacko::blink::unsure::huh::lol:

But if you go and check it out and like it and see nothing wrong with it, then talk about the price. Yeah, 117k is kind of high, but ive seen worse and for an 01, not that bad.

He is kind of pushing the price too high, but that is what i think

Be very careful. Missouri had a alot of floods this past season.

You could be buying into an electrical nightmare.

7 year old car and owes 8000?!?

I'd pass on this one.

As I've been saying...

05 XLT Premium here...less than 33K miles. Only mods is the ZT throttle body.

Awesome vehicle just out of warranty. NO PROBLEMS other than the value of SUV's suck right now!!

Can I get a witness up in here? $11K and it's your's. Heated leather, 6CD, moonroof, monochrome paint and all...

If you're interested in central MO, I'm not too far away in KS. Be glad to deliver in person!!!

Sounds like a hellofadeal to me. What Say U?

BTW...forget about KBB & NADA values. Although they make one feel better, Edmunds has the TMV (true market value), or at least close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think by "current loan value" they may be implying that is what their bank will loan. They don't say it, but I am guessing they are the original owners? 35k new is possible, my sticker said 32k and I don't have 4wd or the sub, but I sure as heck did not pay that.

With the glut of SUV's on the market, I would go lower, way lower on the offer.

my .02

Dabird,

That is high in price and mileage.

Expect to be able to buy '04s and '05s with a lot less mileage for between $10K or $12k just about anywhere right now.

Saw a fully-decked out '05 sitting on a sales lot for months now with a $14k price tag. I expect the dealer would take $12k out the door, or not much more.

TJR

That would go for about 5k max here in Phily in a private sale. The dealer would give you maybe 4K.

The market just does not support that price.

Thank you all.

I went out with 5.5k and will stick pretty close to that amount. The newer ones tend to be out of my budget limit but that 05 SLT sounds pretty sweet. I am in KC by the way. The ST I'm looking at is in Mid-MO so I will have to drive out to look at it.

Any major issues with the 01's that I need to watch out for?

Hi Dave,

I have an 01 4X4 here in KC too. I bought mine from a dealer lot about 18 months ago and paid 10K for it.. Amazing how much something will change in value in just a year and a half. (Fuel prices sure have tanked the SUV market) I think I have the original window sticker for mine, and it showed about $32,000 sticker price... Mine is fully loaded, with Sunroof, leather, 6 disc Pioneer system, keyless entry, bed extender, full console, rear controls/vents, compass/temp overhead etc..

Not sure what all was available in 2001, but I dont have power passenger seat, and dont have heated seats.. I think I have everything else...

All to often people think their vehicle should be worth what they owe. They are completely unrelated. What you owe has nothing to do with it's value. If you think $6k and change is right you had better check around your dealership network. They can't give them away. Anything much older than 2003 most banks won't even loan on. Forget a low interest rate. So that significantly lowers the amount of people he could sell this ST to.

SL of $9,750....no freakin way. Sounds like he is double clicking standard feature items to inflate the value. Customers do this all the time. Especially people who bring me KBB pricing. They don't bother reading. They just click on everything.

Sounds like he tried to trade it and got smacked in the face with trade value reality. I'd consider it at a little over half his asking price.

"Saw a fully-decked out '05 sitting on a sales lot for months now with a $14k price tag. I expect the dealer would take $12k out the door, or not much more.

TJR"

Hehe, try $10,500 and a full tank of gas!

Latest posts