Looked at a new Challanger today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill is correct. A hemi is a shortened term of Hemispherisical combustion chamber. The spark plugs are positiond in the middle of the combustion chamber. The combustion chamber is half of a sphere (Hemisphere).

It has some drawbacks though. The heads are very large.

If you look at an old 426 Hemi and the Hemi of today, they are not the same design.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
The new hemi design is not the same as the old hemi design. Nowadays the best head and combustion chamber designs are actually better than the hemi type combustion chamber. My Dodge Ram has the 4.7 liter engine with 315 hp, compared to the 5.7 hemi, which has 345 hp. The extra cost and complexity of the 5.7 made the 4.7 better for me than the extra 30hp. Supposedly the 2009 5.7 hemi will have 375-390 hp.

Saw one on the dealer lot when my wife and i were out for our aniversary. She asked me which I'd rather hump, her or the car. I paused.

I'm a hard core mopar guy for the classics but anything newer just doesnt have a long enough life span to it. The 318 in my dart went 350k miles and ran when I pulled it, my 99 Grand C Jeep, My buiddies 03 Dakota and a whoile list of others all started having some expensive issues before they all hit 100k miles and there is no resale on them.

-Sefus

That's why I like Dodge's lifetime powertrain warranty. I tend to keep vehicles a long time. I don't buy a replacement for one until the next one is paid off, i.e. pay this one off, buy another one and then pay that one off, so I only have one car payment at a time. Since I drive about 35-40k per year, that means I tend to keep 'em until they reach 250-300k or so. I sold my last truck (a GMC) with 283k on it, with the original engine and transmission. I probably shouldn't have, since the new owner hasn't had the problems I told him to expect. With a lifetime powertrain warranty, if it starts sounding funny at 300k, I'll just take it to the dealer and say "lifetime warranty"! And with 300k on the clock, there's no resale anyway.

That lifetime warranty, though, does not extend to any of the SRT cars, though! The 2008 Challenger SRT8 only has the 3 year 36k warranty. The 2009 non-SRT Challengers should have the lifetime warranty, though.

We recently sold our 08 SRT8 Challenger for 2k over MSRP. The car has power. It's a good bang for the buck. However, when the SS Camaro comes out with 400HP, less weight and a sticker of about $30,000.....it will dominate sales.

You Sold and SRT8 Challenger for 2K over MSRP (not an R/T)?

If so I could have flipped that car in 10 mins and made a quik 13 grand in my local.

The wgt diff is 200 lbs with the new camaro having 25 less H.P. thats a wash.

Both are nice cars but have terrible skidpad numbers so you won't see them at any track events.

salleen is teaming up with Dodge to Build Challengers, that will be a car for sure with a N/A engine that makes 600 H.P and a possible FI car that makes far more, stay tuned.

Will be fun :)

Saw one on the dealer lot when my wife and i were out for our aniversary. She asked me which I'd rather hump, her or the car. I paused.

Since you are typing, I assume that the pause allowed you the opportunity to chose the correct answer. :)

Dingo

Thx but don't want one, nice looking car but way overated, have way to much time on my hands.

Hit the lots and pull the salesmans chains, is my hobby:lol:

The Chrysler dealer in my home town in PA has had the same three Challengers on their lot since before Labor Day. Two V-6's and an SRT8. Doesn't appear to be much of a sales success to me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts