longevity of the truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto Jerry. The key to reliability is proper maintenance.

It's of utmost importance with the 5R55E transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Mac

My son's '05 ST 4x4 XLT was bought used w/52k miles on it in Juky '06 & he has 195k plus miles on it today.

BTW: He traded in my old 4x2 '93 Explorer Sport on it & it had 269k plus miles on it.

les, does your son mostly drive on the highway?

I'm guessing that he must, if he drove 143k miles in 6 years.

I'd be surprised to see a Gen1 go 300k miles of mostly city driving. Just to mention one thing that tends to fail, the cassette for the timing chain that goes bad -- I'll bet that lasts a lot fewer miles in city driving, due to varying loads being placed on the engine causing the chain to rattle against the cassette.

I don't think anyone can say what the life span of your truck will be. So much depends upon how well you maintain the vehicle.

Also, you did not explain what you mean by longevity as far as mileage or years of service?

Some things deteriorate more with age rather than mileage, while others will show more wear with mileage and not so much with age. If you fix or replace things that break or show signs of wear, you truck could be 50 years old and still look showroom new. However the older the vehicle gets the harder it is to find replacement parts...new or used.

To some degree, your driving environment will contribute to the aging of your vehicle over time, but many can be offset by proper (if not anal) maintenance.

...Rich

You're right Richard, my '01 ST bought in Sept. 2000 only has 145k miles on it & its 12 years old.

Gavin,

Anal maintenance is where someone is overly obsessed with insuring that their vehicle is maintained in like new condition for eternity..

That would include people who cancel or delay a trip to the corner store because they are past due on the 100 mile oil change. Or perhaps the guy who feels he needs all new tires because one tire is one psi lower than it was an hour ago....obviously defective tires. Shoots his wife because she took the car out or the climate controlled garage when it was cloudy and the car got wet in a sudden rain storm.

Yes, those are exaggerations, but I think you get my point. :grin:

...Rich

I bought my Gold 2001 ST used about 3-4 years ago with 127K. Don't know what the maintenace history was from the previous owners (2), but since I got it, I've done alot. First thing I did was a full tune-up (plug, wires, coil pack, fuel filter, K&N CAI cone filter), I've changed the differential fluid, drop tranny pan and changed filter, topped off with about 5-6 quarts of fresh tranny fluid. I routinely do my own oil changes, which I transitioned from Syn Blend to Full Synthetic with no issues. My exhausted broke off where it connects to the Cats, instead of having it welded, i insalled a new MagnaFlow Cat Back exhaust. And just recently, my alternator died out, which I replaced and bought a new battery, since old one was only holding about 50% charge.

Basically, as stated before, you take care of her and she'll take care of you. My wife always tells me I love my truck more than her because i'm always tinkering around and pampering her. Now at 153K and counting and throughout all the work I have done, she has always driven great. Depending on my driving style, I get between 15 to 19 mpg's and am average close to 17 mpg's combined.

MY goal is 300K plus.

Latest posts