Location of Speed Control for GPS???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im hooking up a in dash Radio/DVD/Navigation/Sat-radio I need to hook it into the speed control wire for more accurate GPS.(out of sat reception, heavy clouds, tunnle ect). The GPS with use Gyro and speed to calc. location.

So... if you know the location and color of this wire I will Airmail you my 1st born!

hmmm to bad I cant use the GPS to find the wire!!! lol

:unsure:

According to the PDF I posted lasrt not on another post.

it is the Grey/Black wire. Passenger side of the engine compartment.

there is a wire harness that runs along the top of the compartment. If it is the same as my 2001.

Link to PDF

You really don't need to hook it up. I had an AVIC-N2 in my other truck and it never had a problem without it.

I agree with Dingo. I have been using a portable GPS system in my vehicles for about 4 years now and never had a problem with accuracy or any major signal losses. Only in on instance was i driving under an overpass, lost the satilite signal when my turn came up.

The few rare times when you are going through a tunnel, most GPS systems will not realize the signal is lost for about 15+ seconds and often you are already past the tunnel and the signal pickes up immediately when you exit the tunnel.

As for clouds, I have never encountered a loss of signal in the cloudy raining weather. GPS system don't suffer rain fade like satilite TV does. Satilite TV requires a much stronger signal which can be severly compromised if it is raining very hard (not just cloudy) The surface of the satilite dish antennea is distorted by the rain running down and cannot focus the signal on the LNB

So, in the end, it would be very rare that any momentary loss of signal would cause you to get lost of off route.

...Rich

While it's not mandatory that you hook it up, I reccomend it for better accuracy. I have mine hooked up on my AVIC-Z1.

Assuming you have speed sensitive wipers (check owners manual) Use the Gray/Black wire going to windshield wiper motor. IT's easier than the PCM plug on the passenger side, and should be a shorter route.

On my 07 ST the wire color is purple/orange which is Pin 4 on the Windshield Wiper Motor. I noticed that you have an 03 and i'm not sure if the VSS wire is the same on that model. Let me do some research and get back to you.

Edit: VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if its not one of the new tracs the gry/black wire is behind your radio towards the left side. Unless your radio increases volume the faster you go. Thats where i tagged my nav too. Remove the radio and look at the harness to your left and its right there.

Latest posts