Lights came on by themselves?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt DeFina

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had a wierd occurance this morning, as i was leaving my parking garage, i heard what sounded like a relay switch, and noticed my headlights and dash lights had come on by themselves.. i checked the headlight switch, and it was in off position. I turned the switch to on then off again, and still the lights were on.. then about 1 min later the same realy switch sound and the lights went off..

I figured it may be some short circuit. because i've also noticed lights on my door lock buttons (all doors) stay on all the time, even with the car off and key out of the ignition.

another possibility... could the computer be trying to give me a message?? lol

any thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a slide switch on the bottom of the inside rearview mirror and a green LED to the right of it? If so, you have the Autolamp feature. Sliding the switch to the right increases the time the lights remain on after the key is turned off, up to 3 minutes. It also turns on the headlamps automatically at night and off automatically during daylight.

Hmm, forgot about that feature.. i've had it turned off for the 9 years i've owned the truck. sounds like it malfunctioned, because i have not enabled it and it was daylight as i was leaving.

I experienced the same thing when I slide the auto lamp selector left to the off position. The contacts may be dirty or not engaging constantly. I will some times experience a quick on / off session. I have been meaning to maybe use some pressurized air (can) or electrical contact cleaner. The later does not play nice with plastic.

Does anyone know if the door lock switches are glow in the dark like the hands on a watch? Or are they actually light bulbs, I always see mine glowing when getting in at night to go to work. :driving:

The door lock buttons on my 04 stay on for a while too. But they do turn off eventually. Perhaps after 10 minutes just like the radio does when the key is not on accessories (provided none of the doors have are opened meanwhile).

I have an '01 and I think that my door lock buttons have always been on when I get in after dark. Are they supposed to go off? If they are to go off, what could be the issue I have?

Latest posts