Lights are on, but nobody's home. Update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tig OBit

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. For those that were interested, I just got off the phone with the dealership. The problem with the truck not starting was due to corroded wires inside the fuse box. The good news was that it was covered under the extended warranty and will only cost me $50. Of course they called me and told me to keep my extended warranty I had to do the 30000 mile maintenance done soon. They quoted my $580 for the 30000 mile service! I told them to do the transmission flush for $150, which I was planning on having done anyway. They also said I needed new filters, no big deal, I can do that. But, they also said something about doing a 4 part cleaning on the fuel injectors that cost $150. I don't know what that is, but it sounds awfully expensive. What do you guys think? What else is part of the 30,000 mile maintenance besides the trans flush and filters? Is the fuel injector thing something that I really need to get done? Can I get it done cheaper elsewhere? She said I could but that an independent shop would not do the 4 part process and be done as well as at Ford. (of course she would say that) Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask them to prove you are required to have the 30,000 mile service done.

I bet they will be unable to do it. Not only prove that it must be done, but it must be done by a Ford dealer.

The MM Warranty act states that if an auto manufacturer says you must have the dealer do all maintenance and nobody else, then they must provide it for free. If you are required to only use Motorcraft oil, filters (oil, fuel, and air), tranny fluid, etc. It must be provided at no charge.

I bet once you put them on the spot, they will back down.

Tom

I know that the service can be done at somewhere other than a dealership, even by your own person if you keep the receipts. I wonder if anyone has ever had a problem with Ford doing work under extended warranty because someone could not produce receipts for all of the maintenance? I was trying to find online where it said I had to have the fuel injector service done at 30,000 miles and I could not find it anywhere. With all of the problems being reported about the transmission I had no hesitation about getting that done. But anyway, I'll have it back tomorrow, and while I probably didn't need to buy a new battery like I did, the old battery was almost 4 years old, and I probably just saved myself a hassle later.

They were feeding you a total line of BS on 'doing this or your warranty is no good'.

I'd get the tranny flush done at 30K, but change the other filters yourself.

Cleaning fuel injectors? As long as you buy good quality fuel, you should never need those cleaned. All gasoline has cleaning detergents in the formulation.

I've drove cars 130,000 miles and more and never touched the fuel injection system.

Latest posts