License Plate Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
Anyone ever have one light go out? That is my problem. One works (passenger side) but the other does not (driver side). I'm not sure how I would even test to see what the problem is.

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT

If you have a multimeter, check for power at the light socket. If you're getting voltage then I'd suspect a bad ground. If no voltage then you have to go further upstream - like the driver's side door. Large wire bundle runs through it; repeated door open/close sometimes causes a broken wire. There are good DIY videos on YouTube; I like Eric The Car Guy and Scotty Kilmer.

the license plate lamps are wired in parallel. so if one is working and the other is not, then the problem is either bad replacement bulb, bad socket, bad power wire or bad ground wire. all of which would be near the area of the bumper.

Turns out the socket was deteriorated; it practically fell apart when I was inspecting it. Ordered one for about $13. Local stores wanted twice that.

Latest posts