Let's Say...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanda Kenton

Reaction score
(Very thought provoking.)

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests:

Let's say I break into your house.

Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors. I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (. . .except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters:

You are required to let me stay in your house

You are required to add me to your family's insurance plan

You are required to educate my kids

You are required to provide other benefits to me and my family.

(My husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard-working and honest, . . .except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my RIGHT to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house…

and WHAT A DEAL IT IS FOR ME!!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior.

Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you learn MY LANGUAGE...so you can communicate with me.

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America.

I agree, close the borders to illegals and ship those back that are here now. If want to live in America, do it legally, learn the language and become a citizen. Most all of us at sometime has had our family move here so we could become Americans. There is no reason you can't honor your heritage and your old country. But if your are going to be American fly the flag and talk our language. Why should we Americans work so the illegals can get medical needs free. While we are at it, one way to fix Social Security is to put congress on it. Not have there own personal one. Stop giving there huge retirement that they get every year. If it good enough for us it is good enough for them. Once they are on it, it won't take long for them to fix it. This country is the melting pot of many countries and should continue as long as it is legal. We have many great people that have fought and a lot have died for this great country. We don't need the none Americans taking it over. If I offend any of you I am sorry, but this is just what I think.

The other side needs to be told. The current administration has done a lot of arm twisting to encourage the EU to expand to include former eastern bloc and Turkey into the union. They are still holding out on Turkey, but they have allowed Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc to join. Now you can't go to a restaurant in London without being served by a Polish waiter/waitress. I love Poland and its people, and they are really hard workers. What is the difference between us wanting Europe to allow an invasion of immigrants, and allowing immigrants into our country? Wasn't our country created by immigrants? Aren't we being a bit hypocritical?

Seems to me that immigrants are what made this country the most powerful in the World. There were some Native Americans that served in the World Wars, but most soldiers were decendants of Irishmen, Englishmen, Dutchmen, etc. Who were the key players in the technology that ended the War? Wasn't it Einstein who theorized the possibility and Robert Oppenheimer who oversaw the Manhattan Project? What about the biggest achievement of mankind, putting a man on the moon? I seem to recall an immigrant named Werner von Braun being involved. If you look at all the great achievements of the 20th century, you'll see an awful lot of immigrants involved in them.

By cutting off the flow of immigrants, we deprive our country of new ways of thinking and cultural growth. We also eliminate the possibility of some new immigrant solving some future problem our country will face. All species thrive when they are diversified. Homogenious species or societies are more easily wiped out. Millions of Native Americans died from smallpox, because they had no resistance to it when it was introduced to the New World by settlers. Will we face a similar fate generations from now if we isolate ourselves?

IMO - Illegal aliens are not the same as Immigrants! End of the story!

Gary
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes we need immigrants, just not illegals. Lets face it, most all of the people that are Americas original immigrated here. Really I guess the only people that started off here are the Indian, and no, not the ball team. Reality check time. Now look at the people that make the laws and run the country. What ever helps their pocket, is what will happen.

The simplest solution to the problem would be eliminating the income tax. They would end up paying as much, if not more tax's than those that are legally here.

Problem solved...

At least we can hire them to mow our grass for next to nothing. God forbid we pay someone a fair wage to perform the job.

Tom

Flat tax not the fair tax. Then EVERYONE pays the same rate...the po folk and the billionaires. Almost no deductions for anyone! And you can get rid of 2/3 of the IRS! And then we could afford to build the entire wall at the border.

Gary
:D

gARY g

You really need to read up about the fair tax. Those that choose to live like kings will pay more than those that choose not to. A flat tax is not fair, a fair tax is.

Read up about it.Why get rid of the 2/3 of the IRS when you can get rid of all of the IRS.

Tom

The simplest solution to the problem would be eliminating the income tax. They would end up paying as much, if not more tax's than those that are legally here.

Yup, that would take away some of the cost advantage. Flat tax still relies on people reporting their taxes to the government. Folks that work under-the-table for cash will still have to pay their fair share when they pay sales tax. Although I think either system is better than what we have now.

Anyway, 1) I don't think we need more laws when the government doesn't enforce the laws we already have, and 2) we should make it easier to enter legally but harder to enter illegally. Right now we can get all the fruit pickers and landscapers we need but if a doctor or software engineer wants in, it takes forever to go through the proper channels.

I listen to Neil when I can (I'm at work during his timeslot around here) and I still don't like the "fair tax". I also get his email newsletter.

Those that live like kings will find way around the sales tax. Perks through their businesses or part of their compensation packages could be structured to bypass this. The little guy will get hit more than those "that choose to live like kings " IMO. Most folks work for someone who withholds their income taxes. You make 20 grand, your company takes out the flat tax percentage. You make a million, same flat tax rate. Only people who file are self employed. Eliminate most deductions!

And JohnnyO, if Paris were Free...I still wouldn't be interested. She'll probably make a fortune from the video of her incarceration.

Take Care,

Gary
:blink:

In principle I agree with gary g, but my solution would be to eliminate welfare or restructure it so only the needy would get it. Then the people who already live here legally would have to work to eat and there would not be any jobs for the illegals...(pipe-dream...?)

Gary,

How is a flat tax fair and how would it address illegal immagrents?

A flat tax still requires you to file tax's. It still requires corporations to file tax's, and we will still pay pay corporate tax's.

With a fair tax, we do not need to file tax's. We will no longer have to pay corporate tax's, we will no longer have to deal with tax loopholes, and most of all, those illegally WILL have to pay tax's too, except they would be unable to collect on many of the services.

Tom

I like Doug's idea: Get rid of welfare, housing subsidies, and food stamps, etc. If there weren't a free ride, the needy and lazy illegals wouldn't come in. It may also cause our current needy and lazy citizens to illegally immigrate somewhere else where they might have it easier than the US.

However, if someone wants to break in my house and clean it, cook, do the yard work, and maybe provide some "personal benefits", I might be all for them hanging around, especially if it is a crew of 18-24 year old hotties! Wife might not like it, but after living in a clean house and eating good meals, she might come around... :eek::lol:

Wanda,

I think that is a great analogy.

I am all for immigration -- legal immigration. You gotta stand in line like everyone else.

Rocks

It's an okay analogy and I have seen it before. Would be a better analogy if it was less personal. People like to think that illegals have broken into their house, their insurance and education is being paid for directly out of their pocket, and they get little in return for them being here. That makes us feel good as we beat our chest.

Still awaiting the studies that show how much health insurance, healthcare, education costs and crime would go down if we didn't have the illegal problem. Sure, I get they are here illegal, but when a country turns a blind-eye too illegal activities that should say something.

For example; speeding on highways costs us huge money each year in excessive fuel, accidents, increased auto insurance rates...and our govt turns a blinds eye to much of it (avg speeds of 70mph on 55mph highways are common). C'mon folks, a law is being broken. Let's crack down, right?

Or is it, like anything else, if you feel that the unenforced law benefits you, then it is okay?

Let's just make sure as we clean house we do it for the right reasons and the overall result is positive for most everyone. Let's not just say "hey...they are breaking the law", because that's simply hypocritical with all the other laws that go unenforced that we don't seem to mind.

TJR

Wanda,

Put simply, my daddy fought in WWII, and back then, before all of the P.C. (Political Correctness) B.S., they use to call it an INVASION!!!

This country was founded, basically, by immigrants/immigration, but it was done

correctly and legally! They came here, the best of them, with an education and skills

and the wanton to make a better place for themselves and their families, and had the

ability to contribute to society. Now, they just sneak over the border (most of them)

to get free healthcare and welfare. Sorry, but it's the truth...

And if you've read articles about Cuba, (I know the "Mexican Thing" is mostly in the

headlines), Fidel Castro will order his army to "Shoot to Kill" anyone who tries to escape

his country to get to the U.S., with the EXCEPTION of the child rapists, mother killers,

thieves and thugs, but those people, he will let "escape", if you can call it that, to "Float

the Boat" to the U.S. So Sad...:(

Latest posts