LED Tail light question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have red bulbs in my tail lights, and they're pretty bright. Just be sure to install an electronic flasher module if you go LED. The module is about $12 at most auto parts stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they make a L.E.D. taillight for the first gen ST? Do they make aftermarket headlight, halos/ l.e.d./ projector headlights for the first gen?:unsure:

The white LED bulb gives a pinkish color after shining through the OEM tail lights lens. I used red LED bulbs and the result is nice and bright.

Here's the style I use:

[Broken External Image]:

Roger,

I've used both the type of bulbs that you showed above and the ones like Mark K posted. I would recommend going with ones like Mark posted because they have side and/or rear mounted LEDs that fire back into the reflector of the tail light. That's really where you want the light to go for the tail light to be the most effective. The lights will appear much brighter to drivers behind you that way, both at night and during the day.

I bought mine from V-LEDs.com. They sell the bulbs in pairs. They're very bright, and are great products. I have their red ones in my tail lights and white ones in my backup lights.

The flasher that Mark posted is also the one I bought when I converted to LEDs. You can probably find these at your local auto parts store for ~$15.

Rodger, thanks for posting. Been thinking the same.

TT, which red bulb did you use. Your link is a page full of 3157's.

Also will we need load resistors?

TT, which red bulb did you use. Your link is a page full of 3157's.

Thinking that it's this one...

Very close, Josh. I bought a pair similar to those from that vendor, but with a few less LED's than 92. I don't see it on their site anymore, so they must've upgraded to the 92 LED model.

Also will we need load resistors?

Not if you install the electronic flasher module. It serves the same purpose as the load resistors. LED bulbs don't have the same amount of resistance to current as filament bulbs, so they's why they flash faster without load resistors or an e-flasher module. Just install the e-flasher and you'll be fine.:D

Where in the fuse box would the new flasher go? (what number)

Or is it under the dash?

It's not in the fusebox. It's under the dash, on the firewall, to the right of the steering column. Little black box that looks like this :

09e5172579c8f0a3b5ef2fc5dd6d3c96.jpg

Latest posts