LEd tail light conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julio R

Reaction score
am thinking of modifying my tail lights for LEds what i want to do is replace the stop /turn with a 4" oval LED trailer light. will i need to add load resistors? or should changing the flasher to an LED one allow it to work with out making the dash say a bulb is out

Resistors suck. Getting the proper flasher is the RIGHT WAY to do it. You need an EP27 flasher.

If you are using some of the new LED replacement bulbs sold now, they have the resister built in. IF you are Creating something from scratch and you want to add LED's then you will have to use resister(s). LED's like 1.5-5V and sending 12-14V to them will kill them.

If you are creating your own, I think something like a Infiniti or BMW tail light would look awesome.

Even with the newer leds with the built in resistance. You will still need the electronis flasher also.

Also get led's that have leds' around the bulb. The ones that face reaward only. They will not be picked up by the mirrored reflector.

Get red leds'. The white ones will look pink thru the red lense.

thanks for the replys, i plan on opening the tail light itself and putting in a trailer tail light similar to this

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL42RB.html

Mark K can you change the flasher on the GEN2?If yes where is the flasher?Because I've changed every bulb to LED except the turn/brake one because of the dash error issue.

Mark K can you change the flasher on the GEN2?If yes where is the flasher?Because I've changed every bulb to LED except the turn/brake one because of the dash error issue.

Dunno.

looking at the service manual it never mentions a flasher it is integrated in to the smart junction box after digging a bit more online i found a post in the explorer forum about someone with a gen 2 trac who wanted LeD bulbs he tried an LED flasher it didn't work so he had to use load resistors... the plot thickens

If you have the new lights already, try testing them on the ST to see if you actually need additional resistance. They might be built into the assembly.

Latest posts